1.2c With Icom IC-R8600

Good morning,

Happy to report 1.2c (Windows) is working overall nicely with the 8600. As I type this I’m currently connected via my VPN. Very smooth operation of the rig from my remote location. One thing I am noticing with this version is that I am unable to change the span. From my remote location I’m stuck at + or - 2.5 MHz. However, if I disconnect from the receiver (I’m using LAN) and reconnect, I can then change it to + or 1 100 KHz. I don’t think it has anything to do with being connected via VPN as similar behavior occurred with a LAN connection from a local PC as well.

Also, with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 I am noticing that the upper part of the numerals on the S-Meter are getting cut off, but I believe some display issues may have been discussed in another thread.

Again, very impressed with the way this software works and looking forward to future developments.

Scott/KC1UA
Cape Cod, MA. USA

Hi Scott,

Can you verify that the lower-right side says “IC-R8600”?

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

I can indeed! For what it’s worth the last two zeros of 8600 run off of the right side of the screen as well. This I’ve noticed at different resolutions. Minor to be certain.

Hmm. If you can send a log file that would be helpful, especially one where you try and change the scope span.

I may have time to connect to an R8600 this weekend and try it as well.

–E
de W6EL

As I look at the log it appears that it was generated only from the point where I broke the network connection and then re-established it. That was done without shutting down the program. I just shut down the program entirely and re-started. Now I can’t make it break! If/when I do I’ll send another along. I’ve attached the one that appears to have started to be generated after the network disconnect and reconnect, for what it’s worth.

Thanks,
Scott
WFView Log 1.txt (2.6 KB)

I think I see what is happening here. I usually use fixed mode. When I switch to center mode it works fine. I’m not in front of the receiver right now but I think that may make sense actually, as the SPAN option on the 8600 is only available when center mode is being used. So, maybe not an issue at all? I haven’t included the log this time because it doesn’t appear to have logged my attempts to change the span at all.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I suspect that you have display scaling enabled in Windows? Letters/numbers being cut-off is a known issue with Qt5 based applications and should be addressed when we upgrade to using Qt6 in a few months. In the meantime, the process described in this post should fix the issue: Display resolution? - #2 by phil

73 Phil M0VSE

Yep, that did the trick Phil…thanks. I did have the scaling set to 125% which I had forgotten about. Smaller text but I have strong contact lenses! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks,
Scott

I see the same problem also on Linux Mint 20.2 with the IC-R8600. Whether windowed or full screen, the last zero is cut in half… No big issue of course.
73 - Peterr8600-full-screen
r8600-windowed

We should be able to touch that up with the next release.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

That’s my fault. The name of your radio is longer than all of the others that we tested :slight_smile:

73 Phil