C-IV Transceive

I created a simple DMX controller back in 2008 http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midiboxdmx it didn’t really go anywhere unfortunately :frowning:

73 Phil

~WRD0001.jpg

Testing buddies,

I have tested preliminary control of my IC-7000.

Things that work:

1. Frequency Input
  2. Sliders
  3. Band Change (6 meters and below)

Things that don’t work:

1. 440/2M band selection
  2. Waterfall (audio is not measured, from any source)
  3. S Meter / PO
  4. Filter Selection

To get this to work, I had to edit the registry, and set the rig at 70h (hex), and the baud at 19200 (dec).

Let me know if there are any audio fixes you want to test - would be great to use my PC headset as an input source / headset (but that is wishful thinking).

73’s - Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the group! Thank you very much for braving the waters and trying out the IC-7000. I always liked that radio (and I’ll trade you my IC-706MKIIG if you wish!).

Since this radio seems very close to working, I will put in the band selections needed to get that rolling. The waterfall display in wfview comes from the rig’s processor, so if the radio doesn’t have one, we can’t draw one. However, it is possible that we may add an audio-based waterfall eventually. It’s an attractive idea and something that would add some charm with older rigs.

I’m a bit surprised the S-meter didn’t move, but I’ll check the commands for that radio and see if there’s a reason. I might come back to you with a question or two. Same goes for filter selection. Well, I’ll guess that the mode code for that rig is different, causing the filter command to fail… not sure though. I’ll see.

Thank you very much for your report. We will see what we can do to get as many rigs supported as we can – especially when we have good testers and/or access to these rigs.

–Elliott
de W6EL

Hi Glen,

I put some IC-7000 specific code in, and it looks like the latest windows exe has this code. I wonder if I could bug you to run it again? I am curious as to if the model number shows up in the lower-right corner of wfview. I also recommend that you run the IC-7000 at the highest-supported serial baud rate.

I found some major issues trying out my IC-706 today. And I suspect many are the same as what you are seeing.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Glen,

It took a few tries, but I think the code is going to work. We’ll need to wait for Roeland to pull it into the master branch and then for a compiled version from Phil.

–E
de W6EL

The DMX thing is a diversion - low on the to fo list. What you’re doing is great, but from my experiments with CI-V messages I believe that you would be better off not using tranceive messages, get the user to set the CI-V address, only poll the radio (s) and dump any unsolicited messages. Also, make your Controller address configurable too - that may help with control of multiple radios, and possibly allow other control programmes to co-exist ( provided they adhere to the correct handling of collisions )

I have pushed the latest code into master and built it. It’s available at the downloads section at wfview.org

FYI some of the changes needed for the older serial-only rigs are not in the windows download yet. We’ll let y’all know when it is.

–E
de W6EL

Good morning everyone, last night I downloaded the last release and like the previous one I found no problems in making the program work with the 7300, I performed tests and put Wfviwer into operation with wsjt and deluxe ham radio, everything works well without problems. Now that there is the possibility to insert the IC-V address (beautiful) on the config menu, it would be necessary in my opinion to be able to enter the communication speed of the COM ports in this way it can also be used with older devices as per the title. I did some tests, Wfview inserting ic-v of the 756pro recognizes the appliance but does not communicate why the speed is fixed at 112.000 while ic756pro the max speed and 19.200 connected to the micro Keyer. I hope we can test it.

73 Ale IZ4OSH

Hi Ale,

I read you 5 by 9, we will get a baud rate menu in the UI soon. All the code is there, just needs a few updates for the UI.

For now, you can modify the baud rate using the manual method described here.

If you try the 756pro, I would really like to hear more about it.

–E
de W6EL

hello Elliot, thanks for the reply ,

I have already performed the tests following the indications of the document but I have not understood why in my case the communication speed of the port com does not change, I see this from the micro keyer ruter in fact wfvieu sees the COM port assigned but does not connect because I cannot change the communication speed. I entered the 756pro (5c) ci-v, all right if I changed the speed from the setting menu.

Another thing, if we want to translate the menu into Italian I can help you, already done it with N1MM .

73 Ale IZ4OSH

1 Like

Hi Ale,

Make sure when you are editing the preference file, that wfview is definitely closed. If you enter the proper baud rate into the preferences, and then open wfview, it really should connect. You may want to also verify the correct COM port is in the preference file. If not, perhaps edit that text in the preference file so that it is correct.

There is a log file that may contain the clue.

Can you launch wfview with a command-line argument of --debug? That is, you run: wfview --debug. I do not use windows much, but I think you can use the windows command prompt to do it.

Once you open wfview with debug flag, try to operate the radio, including spinning the VFO knob on the rig itself to generate CI-V Transceive traffic. Send me the log file after you test, the procedure to open the log file is here:

https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/log-file/

You mentioned translation into Italian. I am up for it, let’s do it. I have not done a GUI with multiple languages before, but qt has lots of support for such things so I imagine there is a simple way to have a set of text for each language. Let me know how to proceed, I think it will be great to have wfview in as many languages as we can.

Ciao,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot as per your request attached to the debug log file, attached I also put the debug log of the micro keyer so you understand better how WF is dialoguing with the interface on the COM10.

I tried to make WF communicate with ic756pro and as you can see it connects to the COM10 port but does not dialogue because there is precisely a setting problem with the communication speed that I was unable to configure.

As for the translation, you need to create a program that rewrites the titles of each WF command, with n1mm it is done with an excel page, I worked on this page and once I saved the file with a separate program(you can download it from the n1mm web) I uploaded the excel file and the separate program went to rewrite all the titles in different languages including the descriptions. 73 Ale iz4osh

cat.log (2.43 KB)

wfview.log (1.77 MB)

Hi Ale,

The log was helpful. I see that the correct CI-V and COM port are in use.

When you say “a setting problem with the communication speed”, have you tried manually setting the baud rate in the preferences using the manual method as detailed here?

Just let me know if you have manually set the baud rate per the above directions, and perhaps also check to see if the setting is definitely saved prior to launching wfview.

This weekend I plan to add a baud rate menu to the UI, so hang in there.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

I tried to manually set the communication speed but as you can see from the register nothing changes, even the ruter microkeyer always sees the fixed speed at 112,000. Today I also did tests with ic7400 even this rtx finds the same problems.

73 Ale iz4osh

Hi Elliot, I managed to make ic756pro work with WFview, attached find the Log. I couldn’t because when I was doing the graphics on the log and I closed it as soon as I launched WF the septins returned to defoult, I solved leaving the windows editor window open. Now I do the same test with ic 7400 then I tell you.

73 Ale

wfview.log (1.84 MB)

That’s interesting:

2021-05-19 19:11:06.530 INF rig: Found unknown rig:  "IC-RigID: 0xff"
2021-05-19 19:11:06.530 INF rig: Have rig ID: decimal:  255

Looks like the IC756pro doesn’t support the ID command?

73 Phil

I don’t know, with the other programs there are no problems with deluxe radio ham, n1mm, dxlab, log4om. What you see is a partial function by changing the communication speed from the registry. 73 Ale

Hi Phil,

I think it just isn’t matching a known rig. I can fix that up. My guess is that a switch case fell through to rigUnknown or something. I call this a bug, will fix.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Ale,

Any chance you can run it with the --debug flag? This will give us the full serial port data so that we can properly support the rig. On windows, you can either use the command-line to do this, or you can make a shortcut to wfview.exe and specify --debug as a command-line argument to the executable. Maybe Phil knows an easier way, I am not very familiar with windows.

Thanks very much for the log,

–E
de W6EL