dB scale in y-axis at spectrum view

At CQWW we used my IC-705 and spectrum display positioned one mile away for monitoring our spectrum quality of our QRO clubstation.

But we wondered why the y-axis has only numerical values like 50/100/150 and not dB values. Is there any reason for that?

We think it would better to display either using dB values or a specific unit.

73s, Jens/DH1AKY

1 Like

Hi Jens,

First off, I’m glad wfview was useful to your club during the contest! I really enjoyed seeing the packed spectrum on 10 and 15M here!

The only reason that Y axis is without units, is that we don’t know what units the data come in. The manual doesn’t really specify (that I have seen) what units the data are measured in.

If you’ve taken some measurements (perhaps from your remote site, using full, half, and quarter power carriers), then maybe we could change the scale labels and/or scale the data.

–E
de W6EL

Hi El,

we will measure the exact values and put them in a mapping table. Hope we’ll find a timeslot within the next 2 or 3 weeks

73s, Jens/DH1AKY

Hi Jens,

When you do the test, pay attention to the AGC value, RF gain, and Spectrum Reference Level. I’m quite curious myself. It seems log, but I have not tested to see if it really is.

I’ve also got a minor issue with the axis labels, but I’ll work through it.

–E
de W6EL