Log4OM CAT Interface Problem

I have been using Log4OM with Wfview and WSJT-X as described in the manual. However Log4OM has a problem reconnecting after the radio has been turned off.

When I try to connect. The frequency in Log4OM comes up to something like 14520000. I have to STOP CAT, go back to CAT Interface in Log4OM and recheck the option “Connect to active HAMLIB instance”.

I know others have experienced the same because they’ve told me. Is there a fix or a specific shutdown sequence others are following to prevent having to set up the CAT interface again?

TIA,
Rich, K0PIR

Hi Rich.

I don’t quite understand the problem. When you say the radio has been switched off, did you also close wfview? If so, this will close the rigctld server and disconnect Log4OM. There is nothing that we can do about that (you would need to leave wfview running whilst Log4OM is running). I would suggest always closing Log4OM first and opening it after wfview is started to ensure it reconnects.

If Log4OM is losing the “Connect to active HAMLIB instance” setting, I would suggest this is an issue with Log4OM. Are you running the latest version of Log4OM as I seem to remember there was an issue with older versions not keeping some CAT settings?

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Phil,

Thanks for commenting. Yes latest versions of software.

I usually stop CAT in Log4OM, then power off the radio by using wfview “power off”, but I have tried it various ways.Then I power on the radio with wfview and go to Log4OM to start CAT. Sometimes it works, but many times it doesn’t. I will get a freq of something like 14520000 on the Log4OM display. So I have to stop CAT and go into the Log4OM CAT interface settings and check off “Connect to active HAMLIB instance” because somehow it is not checked.

My latest attempted fix is using HamLib in Log4OM and setting it up to use the Rig model Icom 7300 and a serial connected radio. I use a CI-V cable with the baud rate of 19200. No problem with this except I have to start WSJT-X first and then start CAT in Log4OM. If I start Log4OM first WSJT-X will not connect to the radio. I’m using the HamLib settings as in the wfview manual.

This problem may be with VSPE. I have it in the mix, so I can use DTR keying for CW in Fldigi. I’ll check that possibility.

Thanks and maybe some others will chime in too.

73 Rich, K0PIR

Hi.
Any updates on this?

I have the same problem. When I start Log4OM, CAT connects (using Hamlib), but it displays 145000 in the freq box and isn’t actually talking to wfview.

And as Rich has been experiencing, I have to stop CAT, open show CAT interface, check connect to active Hamlib instance, start CAT…and away we go. This is what happens most of the time, but sometimes it works just fine. When it does work, it noticeably takes longer for Log4OM to fire up – I assume it is connecting to hamlib.

I’m not using VSPE driver, just wfview, wsjt-x, and Log4om on my 7300.

Happy do turn on any logging and try if you tell me the magic.

Thx.
Tim
KA7BZG

P.S. Then to get FLDIGI working – tried everything there too … it is reading the log file in fldigi as the position in the configuration changes, but qso’s doesn’t show up in log4om. Tried Rich’s configs, by the manual configs, no joy yet.

Tim,

As I said to Rich. wfview MUST be running and connected to your radio BEFORE you start wfview. If Log4OM isn’t connecting to the wfview rigctld, then there isn’t much we can do. When you say hamlib, I assume you mean rigctld? wfview doesn’t use hamlib, it is our own implementation of the rigctld protocol.

We would really need to see the wfview log to be able to diagnose further.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

I always have wfview fired up and connected before I start anything.

I do use hamlib configuration in log4om to connect to CAT – differences in protocol are probably at the root of evil.

Funny thing, I’ve been trying to repro to grab you a log and it is now working perfectly (???). Turned everything off/on, rebooted, works…Sigh…I’ll grab a fresh log if it breaks again…

Thanks.
Tim

Spoke too soon! Restarted log4om and it again did the errant behavior.

Looked at the wfview log and it doesn’t look like Log4om ever tried to connect – so problem clearly on that side of the house.

Thanks
Tim