MacLoggerDX, FLDigi and WFview

Is it possible to run all 3 of these, MacLoggerDX, FLDigi and WFview, at the same time on an M1 Mac Mini? If so can you guide on how to go about this? I have all three running separately with my Icom IC-7300. I tried you run the virtual com port with MacLogger DX following suggestions in another post and could not get it working. I am running the latest beta of MacLoggerDX. I am also on Monterey on the Mac Mini. I like running on the bleeding edge.

I have been trying various ways to get the Waterfall on my computers, both Mac and Windows. When I saw yours works with Mac I tried it and yours is the best so far. Clean and very intuitive. The only thing I would like to see is the Band selection across the top of the waterfall. I understand you trying to keep the interface simple, but to me it would be more convenient there.

Keep up the great work your group is doing with this application.

Bill

Since there were no replies to this, maybe it was a stupid question. I am still trying to at least get MacLogerDX and Wfview working together with no luck. I have the latest MLDX Wfview and V1.2c installed.

Bill

Hi Bill, sorry we must have missed your message :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if it was in the release version of MacLoggerDX but I worked with Don from Dog Park Software and we got the connection working in the latest beta back in July.

You should be able to tell as within the Radio preferences dialog there will be an option to enter a virtual serial port (this is the same as the virtual serial port configured in wfview preferences)

73 Phil

I’m curious to hear a solution on this. I typically use a Mac too snd I have MacLogerDX. Let’s keep the conversation going.

Tom

Here is a screenshot of what I have setup.

This is my last run of the script:
billroeding@Mac-mini ~ % defaults write com.dogparksoftware.MacLoggerDX dp_virtual_serial_port wfview

I have been trying since 2014 to move all of my radio computer connectivity to the Mac OS. I took a break from Ham Radio for a while and am now getting back into it. It does not look like the Mac has made much headway into Ham Radio. I am still trying. I went out and bought a cheap Dell to set things up on Windows, but I work in Windows all day and prefer the Mac OS.

Bill

Hi Bill.

The virtual serial port isn’t called wfview, it is whatever is in the wfview configuration screen for Virtual Serial Port! If you replace wfview at the end of the command with that then it should work

Phil

My situation exactly for many of my radio activities. I am resigned to using the Windows-based apps with a 2nd machine for things I’d love to do on the Mac.

I do have Flex 6400 and I have great enjoyment on the Mac with their SmartSDR software version for Flexradio. FWIW - Wfview is amazing. Kudos to the volunteer team that is continuing improving it. I enjoy using Wview daily on my Mac.

Tom KB5RF

Hi,

I’m using the 7300 with MacLoggerDX, WFView, WSJT-X, and FLDIGI os Mac OS Monterey.

For Mac Logger DX I’m using a USB Cat cable (has a buit in USB Serial adapter in the cable).

WFView connects to the normal USB Cat interface on the standard USB cable.

For audio I’m using Loopback to create a virtual audio passthrough interface (Loopback is not free but not that expensive and works well).

WSJT-X and FLDIGI use WView virtual port to control the 7300.

WFView, WSJT-X and FLDIGI use the Loopback virtaul audio interface to recieve/transmit audio.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info.

Steve G0UQT

1 Like

Can you tell me how to get the Virtual ports to work so I can control MacLoggerDX, WSJT-X, and FLDIGI with Wfview. You are doing exactly what I want to do. I am on an M1 Mac Mini.

Bill
W4BRZ

Hi Bill.

As I said in my earlier message, you need to tell MacLoggerDX the correct location of the virtual port:

defaults write com.dogparksoftware.MacLoggerDX dp_virtual_serial_port /Users/billroeding/Downloads/rig-pty1

or in newer versions of MacLoggerDX enter /Users/billroeding/Downloads/rig-pty1 in the Virtual Serial Port textbox (the one under DTR/RTS checkboxes.)

You can enter the same within WSJT-X port name.

73 Phil

Having said that, with WSJT-X and Fldigi, I would recommend using the rigctld function which is available in the newer beta version of wfview, as that will allow multiple programs to connect without each of them having to poll the rig. Split mode doesn’t work but basic rig control should be ok.

73 Phil M0VSE

Got it, it works. Thanks, so much, I could not see if for all the trees. Covid brain, that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Bill
W4BRZ

1 Like

Which version has rigctld? I am using 1.2c.

Bill
W4BRZ

I found it, thanks for your time. I look forward to the future development of this application.

Bill
W4BRZ

hi Bill

my mac setup is mac mini with catalina
i run mldx, wsjtx anf fldigi

i setup for wfview, fro virtual serial port shows 8 possible virtuals.
My question…
does that mean only that ONE virtual serial port with that name is active?
or
is there a way to have multiple virtual serial ports open

i did a quick test ans that seems to be the case.
and
it shows only one virtual is activeat any one time and not the 8 possible ones shown in the pull down

for example
i set wfiew to pty1
and
if i set mldx for pty1 i cant set wsjtx for pyty1
so i set wsjtx to pty8 but it is not active

so is there a way to multiple simultaneous virtual serial ports open??

thanks
Paul K3SF

Hi Paul,

It’s just one virtual serial port at a time. And only one program can latch on to that serial port. However, Phil has coded up a network-based solution that emulated Hamlib’s rigctld. Using this method, compatible programs can connect to wfview without the virtual serial port. The rigctld method can accept multiple connections at the same time, allowing lots of programs to share the radio’s control.

Here’s the chapter from the user’s manual.

–E
de W6EL

Now to convince RUMLOGng developers to embrace that….

Have you tried using flrig, and opening the XMLRPC port? Then you can connect RUM to flrig.

wfview → flrig → RUM

Should work, let us know if you try.

–E
de W6EL

Nope, didn’t think of trying that. Will do. Had given WithoutWires with RUMLOGng a go, and it works but scope display lacks any usable resolution (for contesting… perfectly usable for other activities)
Trying desperately to move away from windows and this was the holdup. Have been using N1MM+ with WFView for a while now. Great for remote contesting, but on windows.
73 VE7BNR