MacLoggerDX, FLDigi and WFview

I started working digital modes in 2014. I tried hard at that time to use Mac. I really like MacLoggerDX. However, all of the other apps just did not seem as polished as the Windows Ham apps. Fast forward to 2021 and I have found other than wfview and MacLoggerDx, others have not made much advancement. After spending two weeks jumping through hoops to use my M1 MacMini to work digital again, I switched back to Windows 10. Within 15 minutes I had WSJT, Ham Radio Deluxe and wfview working smoothly together with my IC-7300. Maybe it is because I support Window in my job and I just know it inside out. I love my Macs and hope that someday there will be a kick ass Ham app that does something like HRD does.

Bill
W4BRZ

hi elliot

i will give that a try…looks like what i am looking for

thanks
Paul K3SF

I think these days it’s amazing how most tasks can be accomplished on most platforms. It wasn’t always that way. I’m also really impressed with programs like fldigi, which support so much hardware and so many modes, and work on all three major platforms.

For me, I’d probably spend hours trying to get the windows things to play nicely. I don’t “do windows” generally. It usually seems ok at first and then I get stuck down some rabbit hole, or I break something. I’ve got exactly one windows VM running for automated testing, and I basically forced it to run as linux-like as I could get it. I’m using ssh to access it and scripts written in bash AND “bat” in order to script it all together. It’s just me using the tools I know, which is probably not the “correct” way…

But anyway, the wfview team is very committed to keeping wfview cross-platform. We go through a lot of work to make sure that all the features work on all platforms. When we want to add something, usually the first thing to check is if it’ll work on linux, mac, and windows. I like making wfview as available to people as we can. I was quite surprised to hear that people got it to work on windows xp recently.

Cheers,

–E
de W6EL

well…
now running wfview v1.2c and using rigctl for wsjtx and virtual serial port for mldx
all is well here…

this is on mac mini running catalina with two monitors

next setup will be for fldigi for rtty …can only play so much :wink:

thanks all for your help
Paul K3SF

Hi Elliot. I mentioned awhile back that the wfview smallest scaled window size under windows 10 is way too large for my setup here. It would be nice if it could be scaled to about 1/2 its current size, but for me, anything smaller would be a big plus. We talked about this months ago, and you said you were working on it, anything I can try? Thanks for your work on this…

73 Jeff kb2m

Elliott,

May I ask which Mac apps you find best for Ham radio on the Mac?

Bill
W4BRZ

I use MacLogger DX for logging. MacDoppler for satellite work. WFview with both WSJTX for FT8. I am trying right now to get FLDIGI up and running.
Jim
KK4TW

Hi Jeff,

I made my first code change in about two months last night (something for older radios using RTS for PTT). It’ll be a while before I get to the scaling issue – work became super busy recently.

Keep an eye on the changelog and the git commits if you want to see the latest “pulse” of the project.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Bill,

I use fldigi, flrig, and wfview. That’s about it, I don’t actually use a logger if you can believe that, and I haven’t really enjoyed using the slower digital modes like FT8. Just not my cup of tea. Mostly, by far, I use Linux for my ham radio tasks. It’s the most flexible and has all the tools I expect. And those tools are… the same! fldigi, flrig (sometimes) and wfview. I also work on asterisk (AllStarLink), and you may, one day, find some interesting connections between wfview and ASL if all works out. Just an idea for now.

Take care,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot,
You mentioned that some users were able to get wfview running on Windows XP. Could you elaborate as to how this was accomplished?
I have had no luck installing it.
I get a Windows error saying the setup executable is not a valid Win32 app.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’m trying to set it up on my only Windows laptop.
I primarily use iPads and unfortunately, IOS is not (yet?) supported by wfview.
Regards,
DaddyWarhammer

Hi,

I haven’t personally used windows in a long time, so I cannot comment on the process. My guess is if you installed the dependencies (MSVC++ libraries and qt5) then you would be ok.

Someone else may be able to comment, you are correct that it was discussed here once.

—E
de W6EL

Thanks for the quick reply.I’ll try installing the dependencies you mentioned. Hate to think I need to buy a new laptop just to run this app.
Thanks again.
——————————————————
Since I am a new user, I have to get creative on using my limited replies. Lol.
So, a quick status update:
I pulled out the XP Power Tools, namely, “Dependency Walker”, and can see the missing referenced files. I have attached a screen cap. Hopefully they are all in the runtime package. I’m DLing it now. Will deal with QT after that.

UPDATE:
Well, it took a bit of searching to locate a valid copy of the runtime files for WinXP 32-bit.
Filename: vc_redist.x86.exe
Location: Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 from Official Microsoft Download Center
After refreshing Dependency Walker, there are now only three files missing:
DWMAPI.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL
I am going to bed.
Will resume this effort tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

It is going to be tricky though as wfview relies heavily on Qt and since Qt5.7, XP hasn’t been supported:

Qt 5.7 and upwards do not support Windows XP . If you modify the PE-Header to make it run, it’s likely that the application will crash from time to time as Windows APIs are required that are not available on Windows XP

We haven’t tried running wfview on older versions of Qt but ‘in theory’ it should work!

73 Phil M0VSE