Monitor powered off kills USB port

Turning the HDMI monitor off while Wfview is running as a server on the Invato Quadra kills the radio USB connection. Turning the monitor back on Wfview displays and error “Could not open port dev/tty/USB0”

I would prefer not to leave the monitor running when away from home.
Any idea how to allow it to work with the server monitor powered off ?

Hi Ken,

What happens if you boot up without a monitor attached?

–E
de W6EL

If I boot without the HDMI connected it will not work that is remote client shows nothing running and when I reconnect the HDMI isee WFview shows the USB error.

Is the radio plugged directly into the quadra?

If you followed the directions in the how-to, the quadra will boot just fine without an HDMI screen and will even log in and start wfview without the screen, all automatically.

–E
de W6EL

The Quadra is connected to the radio and I can remotely reboot it does auto login and runs Wfview which runs but shows the USB error if the monitor is off or not connected. I noticed this issue a couple of weeks back but it seemed to have gone away for awhile. However all weekend when I was away from home I could not get it to work with many attempts.

I tried moving the radio USB cable to the USB 2 port on the Quadra from the USB 3 port. Now if the monitor is off at boot the port stays working when the monitor is turned on about 50% of the time. However pulling the HDMI cable after it is running and connected still pops the USB error every time.

Hi Ken,

I had an issue with my Quadra where it would have a USB problem when I transmitted. I solved it by using a better USB cable with presumably better shielding.

I’ve never had an issue with not using a monitor and that is how mine boots up. No screen.

—E
de W6EL

Before I saw your last message I was getting suspicious it may have been a poorly shielded cable. But my USB cable was new and I used a 2 foot cable to avoid pickup problems. I checked it with my ohmmeter and the metal barrels on the connectors are not connected as they should be thus no shielding connection end to end! Tested another cable that read 0 ohms end to end and so far it works with the monitor off or pulling the HMDI with the monitor on. Thanks Elliot.

Hi Ken,

That’s a surprisingly good result to this mystery! Glad you figured it out.

–E
de W6EL