Remote Operations

I thought I would throw this out for a remote operation option. This is what I am using until I have time to setup the RP option. It works great for remote listening and remote operation on digital modes. I have not tried to use the mic option. This is a remote access application called Splashtop, Remote Access App | Mobile Remote Desktop Software | Splashtop Personal There are a lot of options like this out there, however for $17 a year for the personal version, I can remote into my station from anywhere, using my iPad, laptop and even my phone. I have used a lot of remote access applications over the years for work and home. This one has been very stable and responsive to the controls in Wfview. There is a version for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.

Bill
W4BRZ

Hi Bill,

Is this a remote desktop with audio kind of app? I’ve done similar things (VNC, LogMeIn, TeamViewer, Remote Desktop, etc), but I find it far more satisfying to have a native app. I remember back around year 2000 it was all the rage to use TeamViewer and Skype for remote ops.

However… until we get around to a native phone/tablet version, I suppose this is one way! Glad to hear it works well too.

–E
de W6EL

Yes this is the same type of remote app. I have used all of those also. This is easier to setup and use with better performance.

Bill
W4BRZ

I use nx nomachine; available server sides (free) for linux, mac, windows.

for android and ios there are clients as well.

I personally find nx much better compared to tv - like many times.

I have attached a screenshot of remoting in with Splashtop from my iPad. I am at work and remoted into my home Windows 10 Desktop listing to SCARS. I am located in Northern KY. The only issue I really have is trying to fine tune the VFO. The knob just does not work well with touch or a mouse. It would be nice if you could add a plus/minus somewhere or up and down arrows next to the frequency readout.

Bill
W4BRZ

1 Like

Hi Bill,

I have been thinking about a different “main window” with large, simplified controls. This would be good for mobile operation. I honestly usually tune using the mouse wheel over the waterfall or over the tuning knob. “Turning” the knob is a bit annoying as it is really small.

I kind of like the way the Ranger AR-3500 tunes, with an up and down button above and below each digit. That was the first radio I ever used without a tuning knob, but it works well once you get used to it.

Thoughts?

–E
de W6EL

If you were to put up and down buttons next to the Frequency counter, that would be great. On the iPad the mouse scroll wheel does not tune over the waterfall. I can click and move to a signal, but it is still a pain to fine tune. I think I saw another post where someone suggested + - buttons. I like the arrows better.

One other suggestion if I may. I know that your goal is to keep a clean interface. However, you have a lot of free space at the top of the Waterfall where the band buttons could be placed to remove having to move to another tab.

I wish I had the time, patients and knowledge to code. I would love to be able to add to this project.

Bill
W4BRZ

1 Like

The FlexRadio app for iPad (written by an independent dev, but pseudo official from Flex) has a horizontal left/right dial-type wheel for fine-tuning. You can also type the frequency in via an on-screen number pad.

I find myself dragging the vertical bar to the approximate freq on the waterfall, then fine-tuning with the dial if I didn’t nail it right the first time. I like it a lot, given the limitations of a tablet.

SDR# and some other software break the frequency into octets and use the up/down per-octet method. No disrespect to the venerable Ranger AR-3500, but boy do I hate when it’s implemented in software that way. :slight_smile:

1 Like