RPi4 Wfview Client distorted audio

Tom,

I honestly don’t know why it is needed or not. Audio is a tricky thing, and your Pi has a setup that is a little different than the other linux systems we have targeted.

What I can tell you, is that I intend to read over all your messages once you get everything worked out, and hopefully write something conclusive for our manual. I do appreciate your updating us as you discover these things.

–E
de W6EL

Ok, installed pavucontrol, created the file autostart in /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE.pi/

ensured I had it absolutely correct, and rebooted…

waited, and waited, and waited… mouse cursor… and nothing else…

Had to access the RPi by SSH and deleted the autostart file, Alls well again. DO NOT try this approach.

sorry, Mike G8NXD

Tom, how are you getting the volume control to run? I have , this morning, reinstalled a fresh 32bit and 64bit OS and a clean install of WFview, the new one with anti-collision inserted. and I am still getting the audio breakup on both OS, using the same hardware apart from the ssd holding the OS. I tried Elliots offering about pauvcontrol and as you may have seen, it crashed the machine when the ‘autostart’ was installed. later, 73 Mike G8NXD

Mike,

I have no idea how it got there, but in my Rpi GUI menu system the pulse audio volume control was under the submenu “Sound & Video”.

I booted the rpi, started the virtual audio cables, started wfview, started wsjtx and finally started the volume control and PRESTO problem 99% solved. I started all that with the GUI. There is another conversation I started a while ago “looking for rpi users” where I talked about my experience a bit. There is also another good thread w comments in it about virtual audio cables when I was convinced that was the problem but never found a good way to test that theory. But this fix works for me.

I currently have 3 rpi4 pi running. 2 of them have the volume control in the menu and one dosent. I don’t know why that is. I believe all the pis I have running are buster. I will check a bullseye pi when I get a chance.

As a side note, on my other, non wfview pi I have occasional trouble running voice over mumble/murmur. I wonder if the having the volume control running there will help too! Another experiment to try…

Elliot,

I am fine tuning everything before taking screenshots. I have some interesting observations:

1. If the volume level is tweaked in PulseAudio Volume Control during transmit, many of the audio breaks occur while the adjustment is occurring and in the seconds afterwords.

2. Breaks continue at reduced frequency for a short time before disappearing almost completely a few min after the last PulseAudio volume control tweak. Then they come back after maybe 15 min with somewhat increased frequency but still vastly better then if the audio control was not running and better than if active level tweaking was occuring.

3. Making sure you have one audio channel muted lessens the number of audio breaks.

4. wfview audio quality settings that would be expected to work just fine, that would be any audio setting less than the maximum settings, do not produce clean tones on TX. 16bit LPCM at 48000 sample rate produces a clean tone. 8000 sample rate with ulaw 8bit produces a tone with a lower additional component. The difference is subtle but perceptible to the ear on the radio’s monitor.

5. At the suggested 50% audio settings I cannot drive the 705 to full output even at 100% WLAN drive levels, I need levels higher than that.

Question for you, I believe wfview is using PulseAudio 5 and not 6, is that true?

Tom, N2YTF