Server TX audio always set to defaul after a restart

Hello, I’m running wfview on a rpi zero 2W connected to my IC-705 via USB.

This rpi is exposing the radio over the network using the server features.

However, while RX audio input option is retained on restart, the TX audio output is always reset to “default” when starting wfview.

From my remote macOS machine, I can hear the sound (it is popping, but this is another problem) but when I transmit something the radio enters transmission but it is not sending out anything and power meter is at 0.

73 de IU5BON

I assume you have a good reason not to use the wifi stack of the rig?

Yes, it does not work with my home router. I have a fritzbox with a mesh device and it does not work with any of the software that can connect to the radio network interface.

Moreover, I’m building a kit for outdoor activities, and that rpi zero 2W will be part of my outdoor digital shack, so I was hoping to extend it using wfview so that I could use it at home as well that outdoor

fritz/mesh setup is what I have too and if it sees more than one AP, it totally goes bezerk. Sometimes RX works fine… TX fails… sometimes other issues.

If you only use a single AP (in my cas if I switch off the mesh devices) it works well with my 705.

I have talked to ICOM about this problem and so far they don’t feel like fixing. You could help everybody by mailing your setup/question to ICOM – hoing that the more people complain, the more chance we have, it will be fixed.

I can help you with contact details.

Re your issue, I don’t have a mac (I run linux/windows) and not using a pi. I think @phil can chime in here.

Quoting Alessio via wfview noreply@wfview.org:

Hello, I’m running wfview on a rpi zero 2W connected to my IC-705 via USB.

This rpi is exposing the radio over the network using the server features.

However, while RX audio input option is retained on restart, the TX
audio output is always reset to “default” when starting wfview.

I concur. In my case, I am connecting to an Icom 7100 via USB. I can set
the audio device in the server for the receiver, and it is retained. However,
when I set the audio device for the transmitter, it is not retained.
Also, the
transmitter audio is choppy.

By “not retained,” I mean that after “Save Settings” and restarting
the program,
it is again set to “default.”

Dennis Engdahl
BR6J

Does it means that you are able to transmit?

I was under the assumption that every changes to the server config required a save and restart to be applied.

Yes, I can transmit, but only until the computer is restarted, since
the change
to the audio selection is not saved.

NR6J

Thanks. It is working as you described it.

It is annoying but at least it works

I noticed that my ~/.config/wfview/wfview.conf have an empty ServerAudioOutput under the [Server] section.

I replaced that line with
ServerAudioOutput=alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo and now it shows the right value on boot.

I’m afraid the next time I hit “save config” it may remove it though.

you can help us by testing it. makea copy of it and save. if it removes it, move back the copy…
(it should not happen to be honest but you know… software…)

It resets it :frowning:

I did a little extra test and patched the source with

diff --git a/wfmain.cpp b/wfmain.cpp
index 6d71ad8..f120090 100644
--- a/wfmain.cpp
+++ b/wfmain.cpp
@@ -1761,7 +1761,9 @@ void wfmain::on_serverTXAudioOutputCombo_currentIndexChanged(int value)

}

+    std::cout << "old value " << serverConfig.rigs.first()->txAudioSetup.name.toStdString() << "\n value " << value;
     serverConfig.rigs.first()->txAudioSetup.name = ui->audioInputCombo->itemText(value);
+    std::cout << "\nnew value " << serverConfig.rigs.first()->txAudioSetup.name.toStdString() << "\n";

}

It mess thing up right after booting the app

$ wfview
old value alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo
 value 29
new value 

As you can see it clears the setting item as soon as it boots. But it’s weird because the settings in the UI look ok.

But when we save the config the stored value is serverConfig.rigs.first()->txAudioSetup.name.toStdString() and as we have seen, it is an empty string.

As an additional test I tried changing values randomly, some are logging the unexpected value, some are empty, and some are a little different from what I can see in the UI.

1 Like

thatks for your insights here. You are welcome to fix it by sending a PR if you manage to fix it or else
we’ll certainly look at it.

The cool part of open source! :wink:

There was actually an error in both the TX and RX audio comboboxes, should be OK now (pushed to master)

73 Phil M0VSE

Thanks for the fix :bowing_man:

It is now working as expected
:tada: