Use wfview on mobile 4G network

wfview works perfectly via the wi-fi network at home. But if i connect via tethering and 4G network, there is a lot of packet loss and audio interruptions. See this video. wfview rx audio interruptions & packet loss. - YouTube

Hi Christophe.

It is quite likely that your 4G connection has a lower MTU (maximum transmission unit) than the standard Internet MTU of 1500. This can cause problems with wfview as it has no mechanism for detecting the prevailing MTU.

The quickest way to resolve this is to reduce the sample rate. Under normal use, 24K (or even 16K) should be sufficient (the default is 48K). Reducing this to 24K will ½ the required bandwidth and result in 50% smaller packets. Most users experiencing these kind of problems find this works much better. Another setting that can help is to increase the RX latency.

73 Phil M0VSE

~WRD0001.jpg

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the fast reply, that is the solution works great now.

Super !

73 Christophe

Hi Phil,

I’m back from vacation from Egypt. Even with the sample rate at 8000, and the waterfall turned off, I noticed that there were sometimes a lot of interruptions in the rx and tx audio. The sim card was from vodafone and the network 4G+. It might be because of the great distance Belgium Egypt? I will do some more tests here at home in Belgium on a 4G network. Maybe something to think about in future updates how you can use less bandwidth with the program?

Christophe

Hi Christophe.

We are restricted by the design of the Icom protocol. With the wfview server, I have implemented the Opus codec, which achieves around 10:1 compression, significantly reducing bandwidth requirements. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be implemented in the Icom servers.

73 Phil M0VSE

~WRD0001.jpg

The rx and tx codec were still on LPCM 1ch 16bit codec. So I better use the optus codec for best results?

Christophe

Hi Christophe.

If you are talking to a wfview server then yes definitely use Opus codec, however if the connection is direct to an Icom rig then you can’t use Opus.

I have also fixed a large number of bugs in both the client and server code in the last few months and we will hopefully be doing a new release soon.

Phil

~WRD0001.jpg

I run remote from the car using a cheap reseller of T-Mobile services. I’ve found when the Jitter and loss are low the cellular carrier doesn’t have much of a negative effect on the audio stream. What does have an effect is the notebook CPU settings for the application and whether other programs such as the Chrome browser are running. Chrome is a resource hog and it does inject interrupts that are noticeable. Be sure you give the wfview application HIGH priority, i.e. Task Mgr., Process, View, Update speed, HIGH. Egypt and other countries in the region impose significant controls over the Internet and cellular services. These controls may also have a negative effect on the quality of the streaming experience, esp. during peak usage. You can run SPEEDTEST to get an idea of the quality of your cellular data connection so that you can set your expectations within reason.

Enjoy,
dave
wa3gin - Internet Remote since 2000

I use a 9700 directly connected with the internet. So for now I can’t do anything about the interruptions. or i have to use the 9700 and a pc and work through the server mode so i can use the optus codec.

Thanks Phil