wfview on Xiegu X6100 Armbian

I have my questions about R1CBU’s “code”.

There are bugs, additions fixed that you don’t see in the changelog. (How do you for instance see the waterfall?).

The things you (still) see is because the base OS image is still 1.1.6. the UI is updated. And that’s where the BT issue lies. You probably may even find out in the R1CBU image how to fix BT (if he did).

As said: I have my questions on R1CBU. (anyone built it themselves?)

by the way – lack of “performance” is more or less caused by the wifi setup. Probably the antenna-placement in the rig and internally generated noise.

There is no noticeable load diff – also the scope speed is normal and I can cycle TX on / off here.

392 1 root S 385m 38% 27% /usr/bin/wfserver --settings /etc/xgradio/wfserver.ini
259 1 root R 198m 20% 27% /usr/app_qt/x6100_ui_v100

total of the rig is around 50%. Capable enough there. It’ just that if you move the rig away beyond a few meters of a good wifi point, you will see that the console output breaks. That happens with, and without wfserver.

as a test. I placed the rig 20cm from the wifi AP here: no interruptions in sound, scope and tx/rx directly follows what I command.

Congrats! Your teams’ names are engraved in X6100 settings.

3 Likes

WFServer stopped working for a while and hard reset finally made it to work again.
I would say it’s a half-hearted hack. I think they should get their priority straight by fixing wifi and bluetooth and other bugs first.
Nice attempt though. I will experiment with it but I think people should stay away from it until a few more revisions, if they ever revise it.

there is no reason why bugs won’t be fixed. I know. some people want to have wifi fixed. And what exactly? The hardware itself, the place of the antenna probably is the weakest point/issue. I don’t see that changed with a new revision.

re bt: I don’t use it. I recall I at some point was reading about the BT bug and the fix. Like recompiling some parts as it was a known bug of the image or so.

the bug almost for sure is in the OS itself – which is maintained by someone else.

I will skip the “priority” and “half-hearted” stuff for sure here.

FW 1.1.7 is available from Radioddity.
https://radioddity.s3.amazonaws.com/Xiegu_X6100_Firmware_Upgrade_20230807.zip
Their release note says “Note from Radioddity: We have confirmed with Xiegu that the CAT control feature has been disabled in this firmware version. However, it will be available in the next release. Additionally, Xiegu plans to release their own control rules.”
They are nice enough to add several additional pdf files, including “Xiegu X6100 and wfview Software Connection Tutorial”, which says, “Problem Resolution:
The delay is large, and the reason is that the WiFi signal is weak, so the radio station needs to
be as close to the IP as possible or connected using a LAN port”.

Xiegu.eu has the new firmware and Xiegu radio CIV reference.

Can you plug in an Ethernet cable to a USB to Ethernet adapter and make wfview work better?

Or maybe plug in a Wi-Fi USB dongle and use that instead?

Jerry

USB-to-Ethernet adapter is more likely to work or easier to make it work, I have done that many times, with Xiegu firmare or R1CBU firmware but not Armbian.
You need DHCP server in your network (create one or your access point usually has one) and you need to be able to find your X6100’s IP using IP scanner or reading the DHCP pool table.

Xiegu announced their X6100 replacement. That means the end of X6100 support. WFServer will be included in the new radio. The last 2 X6100 firmware updates must have been test runs for the new radio. X6100 Armbian has not been updated for more than a year except my SD images with apt-get upgrade. I will stop posting in this thread. To my surprise it got sizable views (2K). WFView team has been wonderful. Please continue with your great work. Thanks.

Why do you expect xiegu to end support for X6100 when the new radio is out? Did they say that?
They still made firmware updates to older radios after the X6100 came out (i.e. last G90 update from may 2023).