I’m not quite sure how I’ve screwed up my Audio, but it’s gone. On my remote laptop (running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), wfview seems to be working: I see signals on the waterfall, but have no sound. Audio from other apps is OK.
It was working fine, and I was experimenting with pacmds to define sinks and sources for digital modes, and I used paprefs to enable simultaneous streams–so I could have “monitor audio”. It seemed to be working OK, but was a bit of a pain to set up, and I hadn’t automated any of it.
Now I’ve reverted to the default audio devices, and sound is gone. I’ve tried several nightly builds and rebuilt from source with no change. The log shows the In/Out threads starting and becoming active. But one of the final messages is:
INF udp: Audio Watchdog: no audio data received for 2s, restart required?
I’m not sure what that’s telling me, but it seems relevant.
Any clues? Thanks: …DonA
can you move the config file so you have a clean config to start?
I should have mentioned that I had started with a “fresh” config file. But in reviewing the log file, I see what appears to be duplicate “Got Audio” entries. It appears that the soundcard device may being overwritten by a “null” device. Does this seem normal? Perhaps expecting a loopback that is no longer present?
2022-01-28 09:32:07.683 INF gui: Got Audio Output: “alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.
2022-01-28 09:32:07.683 INF gui: Got Audio Input: “alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1f.3.
2022-01-28 09:32:07.683 INF gui: Got Server Audio Input: “”
2022-01-28 09:32:07.683 INF gui: Got Server Audio Output: “”
Hi Don, no that is what I would expect. The current master branch has separate audio i/o for client and server. If the server is un-configured, this is what you will get.
I’m no expert on ALSA audio but if you have configured your default audio devices in the operating system, you should be able to use ‘default’ in wfview.
73 Phil M0VSE
OK, I’m feeling a bit stoopid. I loaded up wfview on a different ubuntu laptop as the remote device. Had the same problem–no audio. Went to the local laptop (server), where I had installed a recent version, but had neglected to move the Audio device specification from the Radio Access tab to the Radio Server tab. Now things are back to normal–at least on the freshly updated remote laptop.
Unfotunately in trying to troubleshoot the original remote laptop, I’ve managed to kill its audio entirely. Sigh.