Wishlist: VOX

A few months ago I commented on the need for VOX capability. I’m using wfview with an IC-7610, and it just won’t do VOX.
As the wishlist items fly by here on the forum, please don’t lose this item. In the list of basic transceiver functions, VOX has got to be near the top in importance.

… Rich W2RG

Hi Rich

As I think we mentioned at the time, all of the Icom rigs we have tried don’t support Vox over LAN or USB, so the only way we could possibly do this is via some sort of DSP within wfview to detect the incoming audio level and control the PTT.

This is on the roadmap but is a significant amount of work so is one of our long term goals.

73 Phil M0VSE

Yes, I understand that this has no trivial solution. I just wanted to bring it up again as I watch the substantial list of gotta-haves go by. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I guess part of this matter is that I don’t see it on the roadmap, so maybe I’m not looking in the right place ( (?)). Should I be looking somewhere else?

TNX - 73

… Rich W2RG

Hi Rich,

We are working on some rather interesting audio processing options, and the vox would probably be implemented with the rest of the audio work we are doing. I’ll update the roadmap soon.

You could probably hack it to work if you ran wfview on a server computer. You would connect from the server to the 7610 using ethernet for the CIV, and then use analog cables to connect the microphone to the computer’s audio, and finally use wfview to serve the audio from the computer’s audio. We have not tried this yet but if it works, it would be a way to feed audio in and have the radio still trigger the vox.

–E
de W6EL

Interesting ideas, E. I’ll mull them over a bit and see what I can come up with.

I use dynamic mics on the rigs in the shack, so I’ll need some adapters to feed them to the computer with the right audio level and impedance. Not too big a deal, I think. I also have a nice Snowball USB mic I can use for the initial testing.

Offhand, I don’t see how this can work when I’m using a laptop at a remote site. I don’t have any audio cables that are long enough :wink: The other features of wfview work nicely using a networked computer at a remote site, but using PTT on a laptop is clunky.

Thanks much. I’m really enjoying all this.

Rich W2RG