A bit of progress - 3 out of 5 radios on Win 10

Had an hour to poke around with settings on 3 radios and finally got all working.I need to go through my rig settings for each one of them and record them: IC-705, IC-7300, IC-9700. Still to go: IC-7100, IC-7000 (without WF of course).

The alpha is still in its infancy but very functional.Given the wide range of control sequences it should be possible to implement and mirror many functions on the interface. Exciting!

I can confirm:
the band stacking register “buttons” do jump to a frequency 1HZ below the BSR setting, regardless of USB or LSB, but did not take time to check other modes… will assume that is in process of being fixed as was mentioned on the group.

Possible issue:
Setting the CI-V setting to work with wfview seems to have “broken” the ability of HRD to find the rig and start.

Nice to haves (no particular order):
autoranging freq markers on the scope
indication of MHz with frequency input top left corner on frequency entry page
Move PTT and Power buttons to main View panel

Also - have not looked at the code yet to see if already there, but if possible, provide for the ability to run separate instances on one computer. This would make it possible to control and monitor more than one radio one a higher end workstation or power user laptop.

Impressive where you have taken this so far and will be very interested to see where you go with the product.

Jack - KD4IZ

Hi Jack,

This is great info, thank you for the detailed report!

The issue with HRD and many other programs, is that they rely on polling the radio every few ms to find out what controls have changed. wfview uses the radio’s built-in telemetry stream enabled with “CI-V Transceive” on the rig. This also lets us auto-discover the model number of the rig, so that the user doesn’t have to type it in. We’re looking at alternatives though, as a number of users have had difficulties with this setting getting toggled by other programs.

The bandstacking issue stems from some early code that didn’t parse frequencies properly. A few bits and pieces of that code are still hanging around, and I’ll remove them next time I work on it. It should be pretty straight forward.

Multiple rigs: We’re working on it. We have some ability to do this with command-line arguments, but this feature isn’t complete for network rigs. Eventually we’ll have “rig profiles” that one could select between using a menu or command-line arguments on startup. Stay tuned.

nice to have:
Auto-ranging frequency markers: Can you explain a bit more here? We are looking at adding overlays to the scope plot, maybe we can work in what you’re talking about too.

Indicator of MHz, we could do this, there’s certainly room. Also note that if you omit the decimal point, it will attempt to set that frequency as KHz – nice for SWL guys that tend to operate that way.

PTT: There’s the “Transmit” button on the main tab. The dedicated PTT On and PTT Off buttons are available should you need it on the settings page. I just didn’t want to clutter up the main tab with too many things, and figured a single transmit button was ok since the rig has that as well.

Power buttons: Likely this will get moved to the front panel. Any suggestions as to where you’d put them?

Thanks again. Let me know about that IC-7000, I don’t think we’ve tried that one yet. Expect to see some features using their defaults rather than being tailored to the rig (such as attenuator and preamp levels, bands, etc).

–Elliott
de W6EL

Since you are also Win10, I am curious if you see the problem with the Band Stacking that I see. The frequency is changed, with the 1Hz offset that you mentioned, but not always to the same frequency that you last used on that band, but some other frequency, and - most notably - the mode might not be correct. If I change from 40m to 20m, the mode on 20m remains LSB, not USB. If I change it to USB and switch back to 40m, the mode remains USB. Does it behave the same for you?

I am using a 7300.

Hi Elliot.

Well here is a mystery about switching between HRD and wfview. I never would want to run them together, but I can see doing it sequentially… shut one down, then start the other, for a number of reasons. HRD can run cleanly right after a system reboot even when I leave the CI-V transceive set to on with the 7300. If I run wfview first, then shut it down… then try to start HRD, HRD can’t even see the COM port. If I run HRD first and shut it down, before trying on hi to start an instance of wfview, wfview can’t find the 7300.

If I reboot the Win 10 PC first, I can then run the other program… which tells me that either some residual COM port state is left set wrong, or some process is holding on to the driver, locking the other program out so the software can’t see the 7300… even after either program has been shut down. I haven’t the time to try to look at the process list to figure out what processes might be left running.

Interestingly, I don’t seem to see this behavior with the 705 or 9700… they just work… so whatever the problem, it is associated with the 7300 or the iteration of its driver. Frustrating.

Hope you have some thoughts about why this might be the case… more below inline with your questions.

Jack - KD4IZ

Hi Jack,

This is great info, thank you for the detailed report!

The issue with HRD and many other programs, is that they rely on polling the radio every few ms to find out what controls have changed. wfview uses the radio’s built-in telemetry stream enabled with “CI-V Transceive” on the rig. This also lets us auto-discover the model number of the rig, so that the user doesn’t have to type it in. We’re looking at alternatives though, as a number of users have had difficulties with this setting getting toggled by other programs.

The bandstacking issue stems from some early code that didn’t parse frequencies properly. A few bits and pieces of that code are still hanging around, and I’ll remove them next time I work on it. It should be pretty straight forward.

Multiple rigs: We’re working on it. We have some ability to do this with command-line arguments, but this feature isn’t complete for network rigs. Eventually we’ll have “rig profiles” that one could select between using a menu or command-line arguments on startup. Stay tuned.

nice to have:
Auto-ranging frequency markers: Can you explain a bit more here? We are looking at adding overlays to the scope plot, maybe we can work in what you’re talking about too.

So here I mean that the freq display on the WF seems to be widely spaced and doesn’t increase or decrease the increments shown as is commonly seen with most SDRs when the display range is changed.

Also the indicator line for the “center” or tuned frequency is a bit dim, it would be nice if a brighter color could be used to make it easy to see.

Indicator of MHz, we could do this, there’s certainly room. Also note that if you omit the decimal point, it will attempt to set that frequency as KHz – nice for SWL guys that tend to operate that way.

Perhaps make it switch from KHz to MHz at some threshold frequency?

PTT: There’s the “Transmit” button on the main tab. The dedicated PTT On and PTT Off buttons are available should you need it on the settings page. I just didn’t want to clutter up the main tab with too many things, and figured a single transmit button was ok since the rig has that as well.

Power buttons: Likely this will get moved to the front panel. Any suggestions as to where you’d put them?

Almost every ICOM radio has the on/off button at the upper left or mid left side of its front plate… I think about putting it there.

Thanks again. Let me know about that IC-7000, I don’t think we’ve tried that one yet. Expect to see some features using their defaults rather than being tailored to the rig (such as attenuator and preamp levels, bands, etc).

Let you know when i pull it out of the rack next.

Will you be putting in a custom macro command database? That way a user could put together control macro strings and increase flexibility of the controls.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

Hi Jack,

Are you accessing the 705 and 9700 using the USB port or Ethernet?

de W6EL

Hi, I have the same problem as Jack but only via USB.

Hi Jack/Max

It is possible that we aren’t properly closing the USB serial port, I will have a dig through the code as that would potentially cause the issue that you are seeing.

I will do some testing with a USB connected rig and get back to you.

73 Phil M0VSE

I just tried this with my IC705 connected over USB and I was able to switch between wfview and HRD fine, I tried it about 4 times and each time both apps connected to the rig so I am a bit stumped.

I don’t have an IC7300 here to test but I would have thought if there was a specific issue with resources not being released by either program, the IC705 would exhibit the same problem?

One interesting test would be to try unplugging the USB cable that connects to your rig after closing wfview and then plug it back in before running HRD, does this work? If so then it is definitely related to the USB serial port.

73 Phil M0VSE

I’m so sorry Phil, I wasn’t precise in my description.

My tests are with:

• IC705 via WiFi only
  • IC7610 via USB and via LAN

I noticed the problem with the 7610

It may be, that the USB behaviour of IC7300 and IC705 is different.

I have problems with the scope CIV command, which works wih the IC705 but not with the IC7300.

73 Guenter DK1RI

CIV transceive work on frequenvy and mode only. correct?

I wonder, how you get the status of other controls and the model number?

(you can get the model number simply by the ID command (not for all radios) ? )

Guenter DK1RI

Hi Guenter.

The beauty of CI-V Transceive is that you can send a command to C-IV ID 0x00 and Icom radios (with CI-V transceive enabled) will respond. This lets you determine the ID of the connected radio, and then any future commands can be addressed to it directly. The command we send is 0x19 (Rig ID) and the rig will respond with the ‘transceiver ID’. This allows us to auto-detect the rig, wfview contains a lookup-table of ‘known’ rigs by transceiver ID.

73 Phil M0VSE

Phil,

Could you test by exiting HRD without a proper exit. Try closing the program or shutting down the process.

Mike N2MS

Hi Mike.

I’m not sure what that will tell us? Any program that is not ‘cleanly’ shutdown will likely be unable to close necessary resources (as this is usually done as part of the shutdown process). This will cause other programs to be unable to use them.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Mike.

I’m not sure what that will tell us? Any program that is not ‘cleanly’ shutdown will likely be unable to close necessary resources (as this is usually done as part of the shutdown process). This will cause other programs to be unable to use them.

73 Phil M0VSE

Phil,

Unless I am mistaken the 7300 is the only one of these radios which has a single USB port.that reflects as a single COM port. That in of itself is a difference.

Jack - KD4IZ

Oh, yes… I did the unplug routine. That does not help. I had to do a complete reboot.
Jack - KD4IZ