Anyone have a suggestion to convert wireless to wired

I just got a new IC-7610. On my operating desk I don’t have wired connection for LAN. I only have wireless. I know there are devices to convert wireless to wired. I wonder if anyone has experience with one of these devices? Thanks for any thoughts.
Doug – K0DXV

Hi Doug,

In the past, I have used a wifi router with DDWRT firmware. DDWRT lets you use the router “in reverse” where the router joins an existing wifi network and bridges it to the ethernet ports. They also sell devices such as wifi extenders or wifi-ethernet bridges for this purpose.

However, I have not tried it with wfview, so I can’t recommend any specifics. What I can say is that the quality of the link matters a lot, especially when there is wifi. Any dips in performance will be noticeable in the audio.

–E
de W6EL

I didn’t think about DDWRT. I wonder if any of the old routers in the network junk box can run it. I’ve tried several bridges but have found, for the most part, they work poorly. Maybe I need to find a better one. This is basically why I have ask the question. I have excellent WiFi and the whole house is wired with CAT5. But when they installed the fiber optic they couldn’t route it into the closest where the eithernet hub is. So, if anyone has experience with bridges, I’d enjoy hearing about it. I have two and they both constantly drop the connection.

tnx & 73, Doug --K0DXV

trying to wrap my head around this:

"But when they installed the fiber optic they couldn’t route it into the closest where the eithernet hub is. "

You mean that the place where your fiber ends, it’s changed into wireless?

I also would recommend to run a cable from that place directly to the ethernet switch. (don’t think you still use a hub).

In all cases, use wifi when you need to move around. For fixed situations, use wired connections. Yes it’s a pain but so much better.