Audio pickup from client to server running on VNC?

Question about input from a client:
I have the latest version of WFview installed on my Pi 400 and my main computer. I run my Pi in the basement on my IC7300 and usually run it upstairs with a VNC connection when running digital modes. I run Mint Linux upstairs on my main desk computer. The VNC works great to the Pi.
When I tried running the Wfview on my computer (client side) I noticed my ALC/Power was bouncing around. I was listening to music on YouTube and when I muted that it looked normal again. So it appears that I get some input from other things running sound that gets through the client side and conflicts.
Is there a way on the client that only input audio from the Pi in the basement can be monitored and no audio conflict passing to the server end? I don’t transmit from the upstairs/server, but have just listened sometimes and it’s nice to see another meter when operating. I can have power/SWR/ALC all seen at the same time then.
Thanks for all the work on WFView, two thumbs up!
Tom KA7VIK

Hi Tom,

I think what you’re trying to do is basically disable any audio from your remote “client” wfview.

What I would do, is go on your server side, under Radio Server, and select an audio interface you don’t use as the “TX Audio Output” device (keep in mind you must disable the server, make the change, and then enable the server).

If you do not have an unused audio device on your server, you could create a loopback device on your server and just select it as the “TX Audio Output” and not use it for looping back. See this page of the manual, scroll down for the linux loopback section.

Alternately, you could make an unused loopback device on your client side and select it as your “Audio Input” in wfview’s Radio Access settings Page. If the loopback device never has any audio on it, then it would not contribute towards transmitting audio.

–E
de W6EL

Thanks Elliott,

Sound like what I was looking for. Kind of expected something to set on the client side, but that’s why I asked! I just want to control the radio from client, but no need to transmit from it - at least not at this point.

I’ll play with those settings and see what happens.

Thanks!

Tom KA7VIK

Hi Tom,

If we had a “disable transmit audio entirely” button, that would be the one! I think you’re the first to ask for such a feature :slight_smile: .

–E
de W6EL

we internally discussed parts of this for some other long standing issue/feature/improvement.

In this case: what if you disable the TX completely with the button?