Client on iphone or Ipad

It would be great if there was a way to run a client on an iphone or Ipad. Any thoughts for this in the future?

Send us iPads and some Macs and we can do it.

Seriously though, we did compile it once on iOS. It needs some help around the edges due to not being a desktop environment but it’s clear that it could be done.

We just need some modern Apple hardware to build and test with. I think only one of us four has a mac right now. Plus some time!

—E
de W6EL

1 Like

OMG that would be huge
i second that slick

another vote for wfview on iphone

1 Like

For a temporary quick fix, wouldn’t it be easier to leverage AnyDesk to access wfview (USB or Network) by cracking the IOS iphone microphone restriction?

1 Like

I used NoMachine on an ancient iPad mini 2. It worked perfectly, INCLUDING audio. And it took about 10 minutes to set up on “server” end, and install on the iPad.
Greg, KC8HXO

I also am in favor of nonachine. For me there is no better alternative. works on android as well.

Good luck with any desk! From all the 65535 ports of the Planet Earth, AnyDesk is suing the same 50k ports Icom is using by default :-))
And Yes, I know you can change ports in Icom transceivers this is not the topic.
73!
M.

the cool part of nomachine is that you can use it over https, over other ports and even better: over ssh.

(and yes anydesk does indeed not help there).

I use SDR-Control for my Ipad, ik works fantastic, inmediate after install and config. It has integrated ft8/ft4 possibilleties on the Ipad. Only you have to buy it once.

73’s de PA0GSM

1 Like

hoi Gerard…

and you need apple hardware…

ps the cool part is that you are able to pay for wfview as well!

(I’m wondering what parts of wfview have been used as an example for the network stack)

More info for us tech dimwits. lol

Send us iPads and some Macs and we can do it.

Is this offer serious ?

I can do this if you like

Or you can use the virtual version:

Hi Dennis, not really. we aren’t really in a position to do an iOS port just yet, but this is definitely something that is on our roadmap.

Phil

I know this is old thread - but I returned to WFVIEW as my most reliable remote backup since my FlexSDR(main) died of sudden heartattack…(well, nearby static discharge I guess so ESD Diodes or something preventing it from RXing anything bellow -60dBm lol)…

I was used to running an iOS / iPADOS App.as I do travel. I found out that Marcus, who wrote the SmartSDR for iOS also wrote the ICOM SDR App for iOS/iPadOS… I also saw someone running an IC7300 with it (the SW says it needs an ICOM RIG with LAN/WLAN Interface) so my guess is, that WFVIEW or WFSERVER here runs on SBC essentially serving as LAN Interface or LAN(IP) to USB converter. Is it possible or did I got that bit wrong?

As for building it for iOS, what is needed? I do have a iPhoneSE2022 and some iPAD… I was wondering if someone could share just how they managed to compile or what dev enviroment was tried and I could have a go at it? (I understand that new Apple chips can do cross/platform and run some apps from iOS within MACOS but not sure if it works vice-versa).

Maybe another quick question - I guess when control port 50001 initially does the handshake etc.something along Radio ID and also Server is exchanged…is there a way to modify to WFVIEW or WFSERVER ID so radio would send something like IC7300, or IC705 etc. (To make the other side think it is radio with LAN Interface?)

73 Jiri

@ok2it

I guess you need MacOS + X code

1. Set up a Mac or pc running Wfview.
  2. USB connect 7300.
  3. Set up 7300 to connect to Wfview.
  4. Set up server in Wfview.

On iPad or iOS:

1. Load SDR Control.
  2. Set up two connections to Wfview: a. LAN IP Address. b. WAN IP Address (IPv6). These must be static.
  3. Connect to Wfview.

Worked great from Switzerland to Edmond, OK on last trip to see our grand kids.

AC5LL

Hi Jiri,

wfview on an iPad or iPhone would need quite the overhaul to make the UI reasonable for a phone. There’s also plenty under the hood that would have to change in order to accommodate the different system.

It’s a lot of work. We did compile it once, about two or three years ago, as a proof of concept. But the code has evolved significantly since then, and of course, it needs a different UI.

If anyone knows some hams with significant developer skills, we’re open to working together on it. Just imagine the traction something like this would have if it were available for free.

@SteveAC5LL 's advice will get you there for now. That software he mentions does support the 7300 via wfview server, although the developer is rather cagey about it.

–E
de W6EL

Elliott.

No need to reinvent the wheel. SDR control works great on iPad and IOS. It’s $50.

My two cents.

Wfview is great. Thanks for creating it

AC5LL

Steve,

I prefer open source when it comes to ham radio.

I have no interest in a proprietary wheel, even if it does copy from known wheels.

—E
de W6EL

1 Like

I also have a small hunch that there is a “good” reason why SDR control is closed source.

when it comes to wfview: it is cross platform. you cannot compare the two.