Compile error Ubuntu 16.04

This is what I get when trying to compile with 16.04
Then I removed line 23 in wfview.pro that references -faligned but just got more different errors.
Perhaps16.04 is too old?

Ross ve6ars

~/Documents/build$ make -j
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -s -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -faligned-new -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DQCUSTOMPLOT_COMPILE_LIBRARY -DOUTSIDE_SPEEX -DRANDOM_PREFIX=wf -DPREFIX="/usr/local" -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DHOST="hostname" -DUNAME="whoami" -DGITSHORT=“c4a9465” -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_MULTIMEDIA_LIB -DQT_PRINTSUPPORT_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_SERIALPORT_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I…/wfview -I. -I…/wfview/resampler -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtMultimedia -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtPrintSupport -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtWidgets -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtSerialPort -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtNetwork -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g+±64 -o main.o …/wfview/main.cpp
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -s -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -faligned-new -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DQCUSTOMPLOT_COMPILE_LIBRARY -DOUTSIDE_SPEEX -DRANDOM_PREFIX=wf -DPREFIX="/usr/local" -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DHOST="hostname" -DUNAME="whoami" -DGITSHORT=“c4a9465” -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_MULTIMEDIA_LIB -DQT_PRINTSUPPORT_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_SERIALPORT_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I…/wfview -I. -I…/wfview/resampler -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtMultimedia -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtPrintSupport -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtWidgets -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtSerialPort -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtNetwork -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g+±64 -o wfmain.o …/wfview/wfmain.cpp
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -s -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -faligned-new -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DQCUSTOMPLOT_COMPILE_LIBRARY -DOUTSIDE_SPEEX -DRANDOM_PREFIX=wf -DPREFIX="/usr/local" -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DHOST="hostname" -DUNAME="whoami" -DGITSHORT=“c4a9465” -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_MULTIMEDIA_LIB -DQT_PRINTSUPPORT_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_SERIALPORT_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I…/wfview -I. -I…/wfview/resampler -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtMultimedia -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtPrintSupport -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtWidgets -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtSerialPort -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtNetwork -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g+±64 -o commhandler.o …/wfview/commhandler.cpp
g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-faligned-new’
Makefile:698: recipe for target ‘main.o’ failed
make: *** [main.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
Makefile:725: recipe for target ‘wfmain.o’ failed
make: *** [wfmain.o] Error 1
Makefile:729: recipe for target ‘commhandler.o’ failed
make: *** [commhandler.o] Error 1
make: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.

Maybe gcc ++ is old.
Please update to the newest one possible.

The issue is gcc version 6 does not support -faligned-new. Now, this feature isn’t necessarily required, and I think you had a good idea there to just disable it and try again.

What errors did you get the next time around, without -faligned-new?

Also, I think Ubuntu 16 is pretty old, you may run into other errors even if you get it compiled.

–E
de W6EL

Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS reached the end of its five-year LTS window on April 30th 2021 and is no longer supported by its vendor, Canonical except through a paid annual Extended Security Maintenance (ESM).

like windows 7: don’t.

Thanks for the reality check. I was hoping it could be done as this laptop has years of work invested in making various programs work as I wanted. I installed an earlier version of wfview on a 20.04 but was having trouble with the audio config. I will try that again with the latest.

Thanks for all the good work

Ross

being an linux/infra engineer I understand your point.

what you could do is - if you have a space - put a new version and see what you can copy over and fix. If you don’t have a spare, spin up a vm and do it there.

My env (own, home) has the newest version of as well as the previous version, Not older; and for testing I do spin up a vm at times to do the “next version”).

In the mean time you can work things out by removing the compile time flag and see if that builds.