Conf file

Hi Phil,
Yes you’re right this is indeed described. Sorry not having noticed that before. This wasn’t intuitive to me but now that I know this does what I need perfectly.

Oh very nice. That’s such a good copy. My RTL-SDR never looked that good!!

Do I need an R8600 now… hmm!

Hi Elliott,

I’ve owned many receivers : ICOM r7000, r7100, r9000, r9500 and now r8600 as well as AOR 3000 and I still own 2 AR5000 now aside the r8600.

This is off topic but have to say the r8600 is the one offering the best performances with the 9500 while being cheaper and more compact.
It offers as well the waterfall that the 9500 did not but only 5MHz spectrum width vs 10 MHz for the 9500. And the 9500 fans were howful.

I strongly recommend the r8600 even if some things could be improved. There is currently a second hand one for sale here in France on radioamateur.org for 1680 euros which seems a good deal. Ref 406735

A communication receiver will beat any wideband sdr thanks to downmixing,filtering, and dynamic range. The final IF is a sdr but with lower frequency range and wider dynamic and sampling rate than the one in wideband SDRs which provides greater performances.

The ar5000 is a very good receiver too offering similar performances but without the sdr capabilities onboard. However a sdr on its 10 MHz output and a decent computer control software would improve the ergonomics which has always been terrible. One can find them around 500 euros but they’re becoming rare but worth to own.

So yeah … This is expensive but this offers much more than a wideband sdr especially the cheap RTL which are usually 8 bits ADCs only.

The images i’ve put are even possibly not the best I have. There was a time I was collecting them automatically with wxtoimg. About 20 metres of low loss coax to a simple 50-1000 MHz discone on the roof, without preamplifier.

Stephane

Greetings Stephane, excellent image results. I could suggest that weather satellite image acquisition is addictive ! I started off 30 years ago with a humble half wave dipole and progressed to end up with a cross polarised RHCP dual 8 element Yagi pair, with AZ and EL tracking, plus a very low noise pre-amp on the aerial boom. Doppler tracking was always the interesting challenge. Apologies for an off WFview topic reply. 73 John. M3WJC, G8GKU

Hi John,
I do agree this can become addictive. I’m usually much more interrested in signals from space than terrestrial. I’d like to try HRPT on L-band. I actually already have the hardware that I could assemble but need to spend time on the software side to make a setup

few other APT images from 2020 for those who’d like to start :