Connecting N1MM Logger

How do logging programs extract frequency and mode data from a rig?

N1MM wants to connect via COM3, but complains another app (wfview) is using the port. From a quick review it doesn’t appear that N1MM can use Hamlib so I’m stumped (again).

Ken

N1MM+ can connect to wfview over a TCP port and it will receive the CIV data from the rig.

https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/settings-tab/#external_control

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/setup/the-configurer/#hardware-setup-options

How do I know what the address of the TCP Server Port is?

Ken

No reply. OK, I’ve been plodding along on my own and I think I could recite the relevant sections of the user manual from memory. Nowhere do I see any indication of what the TCP Server Port is. I see mention of 127.0.0.1 but it is referred to as a “Device string”, not a TCP Server port.

With nothing left to do, I tried entering it in the wfview settings and in N1MM. Shortly after N1MM gave me an error message that says

Radio # 1, IC-7300 on COM 1001 is not responding.

Restore the radio interface polling connection and click Retry below, or right-click on the Bandmap for this radio and choose ‘Reset Radios’ to restart the connection.

I guess that’s not it.

How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to do something in the wfview Settings and wfview will generate a TCP Server port address for me that I can enter in wfview and N1MM? I can’t tell. To me, it’s like the manual was written by IT professionals who intuitively know all this stuff. I’m the furthest thing from an IT professional.

I’m completely out of ideas and I’d really appreciate some help.

Ken

Just pick whatever port you want (between 1024 and 65536) making sure that is isn’t already in use, and use the same port on wfview and N1MM+.

i.e. if you select 61359 in wfview, you would configure N1MM+ to use 127.0.0.1:61359

Very nice! It works! N1MM now displays the frequency displayed on wfview and tracks it as I change freq. We’re getting much closer to using wfview full-time here!

Thanks again for your help (and patience) Phil!

Ken