Crash on MacOS Mojave

Anybody got Build 2021-05-03 running on MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)? Mine crashes at program start.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [3436]

73 Frank

Hi Frank.

I haven’t tried it on Mojave, it was built on Big Sur using the 11.3 Platform API though so it’s quite possible that it won’t work.

I have now got an older version of Xcode installed which uses the 10.5 Platform API so is more likely to work on older versions. I wanted to do this anyway as we make extensive use of Qt in wfview and the latest version of QT5 is only tested with the older Platform API.

I will try to get it packaged-up and uploaded to the website soon.

73 Phil

It also crashes with high Sierra

Looking into this a bit further, The Platform API version matches the lowest version of Mac OS that the app will support.

The current build was using 11.3 of the API which is for Big Sur so it will not work on earlier versions
I have just compiled using 10.15 which is for Catalina. I will have a look to see if I can get on older version, say 10.13 which “should” work with all versions from High Sierra onwards.

What I don’t know though is if we will lose any functionality as the version of Qt that we are using is designed to use 10.15?

73 Phil

Macbook pro 13" M1

I am on the latest Big Sur and my crashes on load also

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [16201]

Hi Glenn.

Unfortunately this is a more complicated fix as Qt have not yet released a version that supports Apple Silicon (M1) and wfview relies heavily on the Qt framework, I don’t have a date for when this will be available sadly.

73 Phil M0VSE

I am using MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and the May 18 build on MacOS and Win10 (server).
The rig is an IC-7410 working fine with Win10 WFview, incl rig control, as far as I can tell.

On the Mac the WFview app comes up nicely. The S meter works, and I can hear the rig RX audio. I am correctly logged in to the WFview server, but have no working rig control from the Mac. Frequency display is erratic, and often out of sync with the rig.
Band and frequency changes on the mac do not get copied to the server and rig.

Can you verify that CI-V Transceive is ON?

Sometimes that causes some issues with rig identification and thus feature detection.

—E

de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

CI-V Transceive is ON. The server (wfview on Win10) works fine, so assume the comms between the Win 10 server and IC-7410 works. The Mac app recognizes the 7410 in the bottom right of the screen.

Best,

-Reinier- W6WYN

Hi Reinier,

You make a good point. If the server end of it is working, I’d expect any client to work as well. Hmm. And it shows IC-7410 in the bottom right, so you’re mostly there.

Actually, I think I know what it is. There is a bug, I will fix it. It has to do with the client side assuming the rig is a roaring-fast ethernet-connected radio, when in reality, it is peddling along at 19200 baud. We have to communicate between the server and the client for proper expectations.

I may “quick fix” this by just saying that we know which rigs are OEM-network and which rigs aren’t. Let me talk with Phil and see what he thinks would be best.

You’re so close, hang in there, we’ll get it.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Reinier,

I believe we have fixed the bug(s) that you experienced. In a day or two you will see a new build for windows, mac, and linux, which addresses this issue.

I tested by using my IC-7300 set at 4800 baud, and I now can say this works really well. The s-meter is more fluid than before, and remote operation works very well. Tuning feels responsive despite the low baud rate. We now adjust the timing of our commands to the rig’s baud rate, even if the connection is over a network.

Watch for the update, it’ll be out soon!

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,
Thanks for being responsive. I have upgraded the MacOS from Mojave to Big Sur.
That made a big difference and now I have rig control as well as receive audio.
Frequency synchronization between radio, Win10 wfview server and Mac client app is not quite stable. The timing adjustment to the rig baudrate that you mentioned for an upcoming build may fix that. Lookin’ forward to the new release.

73 Reinier W6WYN (wine country Temecula)

Hi Reinier,

That’s good news. I looked at the schematic for the IC-7410, and it has a genuine serial port inside, with separate TXD and RXD. If you keep “CI-V Echo OFF” then I think your experience will be pretty good.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,
There is no setting for “CI-V Echo ON/OFF” on the IC-7410.
I am only using the USB port, not the CI-V remote control jack.

W6WYN