CW operation

Fantastic piece of software.

However - cw by using the keyboard is no really good solution. How about keying by using 1 or 2 F-keys instead (straight or paddle mode)?
73s Hannes OE3JPC

we do have some ideas how we can deliver the dashes and the dots to a remote rig but it’s not something like sending a carrier or not. The timing here is crucial.

It’s something we have been thinking about but for now it’s not a “let’s drop some code in and it works”.

Greetings all,

I have made some successful tests with remotely sending “real CW” to my IC-7300 or IC-9700, using a paddle connected to the modem status lines of an USB-to-serial port adapter on one side, and the Icom’s USB port for keying. The transceiver runs in “real” CW mode (no audio keying but using the modem control lines of the rig’s internal virtual COM port for keying).
Using a worker thread synchronized by what Microsoft calls “Multimedia timer” to poll the modem status lines on one port, and to drive the modem control lines on the other port, the keying / timing accuracy is suprisingly good. The test application, more or less a proof of concept, is a Win32 application. If one of the WFview developers is interested, I can post what I have ( plain C sourcecode, not Qt).
Integrating my ‘Remote CW Keyer’ in VWview myself would require a steep learning curve, and require time that I currently don’t have.

Again: At the moment, this requires a USB connection to the radio. I haven’t found a way (except audio keying the TX) to do this via Icom’s LAN/WLAN interface, using their “CiV-via-UDP” protocol.

Best greetings from Germany,
73, Wolf DL4YHF .

1 Like