Help installing on Mint 20.1

Below is output to console. I followed the steps as shown for linux install for 20.1. I’m not sure what’s wrong or went wrong.

So if someone who knows linux could give me some pointers - I would be grateful.

doug@MRNM3AP:~$ sudo apt install libqcustomplot2.0 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5serialport5
[sudo] password for doug:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
libqcustomplot2.0 is already the newest version (2.0.1+dfsg1-1build1).
libqt5multimedia5 is already the newest version (5.12.8-0ubuntu1).
libqt5serialport5 is already the newest version (5.12.8-0ubuntu1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libllvm11 libllvm11:i386 linux-headers-5.4.0-66
linux-headers-5.4.0-66-generic linux-image-5.4.0-66-generic
linux-modules-5.4.0-66-generic linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-66-generic
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

doug@MRNM3AP:~$ wfview
wfview: error while loading shared libraries: libqcustomplot.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi Doug,

We have a build script that I highly recommend. Wfview works and is tested on Mint back as far as 19.1. Using the build script basically guarentees you the resulting binary will run on your system.

Here is the build script. Give it a try.

But back to your specific issue, it is likely you will need to create a symlink between the name of your libqcustomplot and the one wfview is looking for.

(excuse the formatting, there should be “backticks” around the “which wfview” part)

ldd which wfview | grep libqcustomplot

ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so*

See if you can use symlinks to fix the issue, for example, if you have libqcustomplot 2.0.0 but wfview is looking for libqcustomplot 2.0. I think you’ll find it is something like that.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

we have seen on debian based systems that the libqcustomplot library is incorrectly built by the maintainer. If you have a version of libqcustomplot.2.x.y for instance. you must have a symlink that’s called libqcustomplot.2 pointing to that specific version. If that fails, you will get the mentioned error.

So if you installed v.2.0.1 you will notice that there is no symlink. Fix this by:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so.2.0.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so.2

where you obviously need to point to the exact subversion there. Now ldd will not report a missing
link anymore. You could build from source but then the problem is not fixed as it will not point to the
correct name. (It will work though but then you have a broken package and a broken executable.

wfview
wfview: error while loading shared libraries: libqcustomplot.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 49 Jan 11 11:48 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so.2 → /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqcustomplot.so.2.0.1

I apologize. I’m a novice on most things linux. Isn’t the ls command showing a link from .so.2 to .so.2.0.1? I’m using a fairly fresh version of Mint 20.1

Ran the other install script:

sudo ./fullbuild-wfview.sh
This script will download dependencies, build, and install wfview.
It is designed for debian-based systems and
makes use of the apt command to satisfy dependencies.

If it has been a while since this script was downloaded,
or if there are build errors, please use this command to
download a newer version of this script:

wget https://gitlab.com/eliggett/scripts/-/raw/master/fullbuild-wfview.sh?inline=false -O fullbuild-wfview.sh; chmod 755 fullbuild-wfview.sh

The ‘sudo’ command is used to run some apt commands as root.
It (the sudo command) will ask for your password during this process.
You should look at the source of this script if you have any doubts.

Do you wish to install dependencies first?
If this is your first time building wfview, please select ‘y’, otherwise, press ‘n’.
If you are not sure, select ‘y’ to be safe.

Press Y to install dependencies (Y/n): y
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… 50%
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.8ubuntu1.1).
You might want to run ‘apt --fix-broken install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libuno-cppuhelpergcc3-3 : Depends: uno-libs-private (= 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.2) but 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 is to be installed
ure : Depends: uno-libs-private (= 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.2) but 1:6.4.7-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt --fix-broken install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

“apt fix-broken install” isn’t a valid command. So I don’t know what this means.

Hi Doug,

Here is a screenshot. The back ticks around “which wfview” are made using the tilda (~) key on a US keyboard.

–E

ldd which wfview | grep libqcustomplot
libqcustomplot.so.2 => not found

Hi Doug,

Try it like this:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
And then run the script again. I’m honestly not sure what that error you’re seeing is, but it could occur if there was a failed update or you installed some third-party PPAs.

–E
de W6EL