IC-7300 remote op. with RS-BA server till RasPi Image avail.?

Hi All!

First post from my side and wanted to say thank you for such a great open source SW!

Wanted to ask if the software would work with the RS-BA server software for the time being till the raspberry server gets released? We are currently using another SW to run our remote station but we definitely want to switch to wfview. Background to my question is the possibility to use both SW in the meanwhile. I currently not know if we have the CI-V transceive option set to on, but will check that on my next visit.
Audio is currently done via mumble. Could that also be used for the meanwhile or is it mandatory to use the built in audio streaming?
As we have a lot of software engineers in our local club we could contribute at some point.
vy 73s
de OE1KFR, Rainer

Hi Rainer,

My understanding is that it is compatible. Audio is optional. I honestly haven’t ever run RS-BA1, so I could be wrong, but if it supports the rig protocol, then it ought to work.

What rig(s) are you folks running? We could use more work on the rig back-end, there are a few nuances to the various radios that we’d like to support, and it’s a lot easier if you have access to the rig while you’re developing.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott!

Thx for the fast reply! So we could test that combination and se what the outcome is.
At the remote station we are using an IC-7300, some of the hams here also have an IC-705 at home. On the remote station I would prefer to stay with the IC-7300 and a cable connection.
Just for my understanding:
If we want to hook up the IC-7300 we need at the remote station to run the serial - TCP bridge with socat as described here: https://gitlab.com/eliggett/wfview/-/wikis/Ultimate-Remote-Operation ? I saw somewhere that you are already working on a server image for a raspberry which do that task which would be great! Any contribution needed on this side? Didn’t find the server part for USB connected remote radios in the repo.

As said mainly IC-7300s are used. Think we could have a look for some “older” radios here as well and see what we can do.
thanks,
Rainer

Hi Rainer,

That wiki is pretty outdated. Phil, M0VSE, wrote a server module inside wfview that will take the radio it is connected to, presumably over USB (serial), and make it available over the network. Meaning, you can run wfview on a pi (and no need for an entire image, just run the latest linux OS for Pi and then follow the linux build directions from INSTALL.md, it works quite well), connect the pi to the 7300, and then connect ethernet to the pi.

Once connected, open a computer with wfview, and specify the Pi’s ip address, port, user, and pass, and then you’ll be operating the 7300 remotely.

That said, I understand that Phil is working through some bugs in the server code and it may not be working if you try it today. But it should be working pretty well by our first release if things go as planned. If you wanted to test things out, you certainly could use the wiki and run socat to connect both ends together. I often do this myself when I want to simulate a direct connection to the radio.

Let me know if that makes sense. We’ll write up more in the User Manual once we get these functions more stabilized.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott!

Oh thanks thats really great to hear! So I will wait for the update and will try it out!
Thanks a lot!
Rainer

Hi Rainer.

The latest test build now have this functionality working, please take look at this post for more details: New test builds released today 2021-05-14

73 Phil

Hi Phil !

Thx a lot for your effort!
I tried today with the RS-BA server sw (remote utility) to get connected with your newest build from a macbookpro. The server sw runs on win and it seems they are talking to each other and the IC-7300 gets recognized on the wfview sw (see screenshots), but it seems it starts not the tx from stdby mode. No controls or wf getting in action after connection. I really hate this RS-BA sw.
When I disconnect the RS-BA sw from the radio, wfview shows that the radio is available (screenshot).
Next time when I am at the station in person I will bring a Raspberry with me with the wfview sw installed and let it work as a server. Think thats the better option…
Anything I am doing wrong?
BR
Rainer

Hi Rainer

I have never actually tried it that way round, RSBA1 should work as a client of wfview but I’m not sure if wfview will work as a client of RSBA1?

I will try to do some testing and get back to you.

73 Phil

Hi Rainer,

If you happen to have remote access (looks like you might), you could try installing the windows version of wfview as the server.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott !

Thx for the advice, didn’t think myself about that option. Tried it, but get no connection via USB directly on the remote site. Think I have to check that on my next visit, probably the ci-v transceive option is not active. Thanks a lot for your great support !!
BR
Rainer

Hi Rainer,

I’m running it this way – IC-7300 with my linux PC and wfview to ethernet. Then I can access the 7300 anywhere, audio and CI-V, using wfview as a client. It’s working very well for me. Setup was a little confusing at first, but once I got it, it was fine. I wrote a little guide here if you want to check it out. Since this is a relatively new feature, things will probably change a bit over the next few weeks, but I’ll try and keep it updated.

–E
de W6EL