IC-7300 switching to LSB

Hey, all.

I access my IC-7300 through wfview running on a Windows laptop. This provides rigctl to MacLoggerDX running on my iMac. I have noticed that every time I connect MLDX to the 7300 through wfview/rigctl, the radio flips to LSB.

Any idea how this might be happening? I reached out to Don @ Dog Park Software, and he assures me that MLDX is simply reading radio status. And, I did test and found that this does not happen when the radio is directly connected to my iMac.

Something is making it change sideband sidesā€¦

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Check to see if ā€œAutomatic SSBā€ is checked. Maybe this is working against you.

Last I checked, we do not automatically switch sideband if you are in USB-D though. Any -D (data) mode stays as-is.

Thanks, Elliott. It was checked; I have unchecked it, saved the settings, and restarted the app. Hopefully that eliminates this issue for me.

Well, unfortunately that did not do it ā€“ I just reconnected and the radio flipped to LSBā€¦ :man_shrugging:

Is it going from USB to LSB or USB-D to LSB?

Is there a change in frequency happening at the same time or not?

ā€“E
de W6EL

Itā€™s going from USB to LSB. There is no change in frequency ā€“ only the sideband side changes.

If you feel up to it, launch wfview in debug mode and send us a log file.

From your Terminal: (substitute the correct path for wfview.app if you have it in another location)

open /Applications/wfview.app --args --debug

Then re-create the issue quickly (the log file will get pretty large), and send it to us following these directions:

https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/how-to-send-a-logfile/

Iā€™m curious as to what it is. I suspect some kind of command over rigctld is being combined or sent in a way we are not used to seeing it.

ā€“E
de W6EL

I would be happy to do that, but wfview is running on my Windows laptop. MacLoggerDX (on my iMac) connects to the 7300 through wfview.

Is there a way to launch wfview in debug mode on Windows?

Yes, for all platforms you just have to add --debug and itā€™ll launch that way.

Thanks, I got the log and was able to reproduce the issue.

https://termbin.com/9fwj

That does look like a bug in our rigctld implementation

2024-03-06 12:03:10.319 DBG rigctld: 2076 RX: "+\\set_mode ?"
2024-03-06 12:03:10.319 DBG rigctld: setting mode: VFO: "VFOA" 0 "?" passband 0 command: "+\\set_mode ?"

It is interpreting the command set_mode ? as set_mode 0 (0 is LSB)

The ā€˜set_mode ?ā€™ command is supposed to return a list of available modes, but this isnā€™t something we have implemented, and I havenā€™t seen it used before by rigctld clients.

Unfortunately you will probably have to wait until the next release for a fix of this issue.

Phil

Phil, no problem - I have been dealing with this for months. :slight_smile: Another while (for whatever definition of ā€œwhileā€) wonā€™t matter. Iā€™m just glad to finally know whatā€™s going on.

One of the ā€˜manyā€™ changes in wfview 2.0 is a complete rewrite of rigctld to better reflect the current rigctl protocol, it is taking a bit longer than expected though!

1 Like