IC9700 Remote Outside LAN

I have followed the other posts and forums etc and cannot get 9700 to connect other than on the main conputer.

Laptop>USB>IC9700
Modem>ethernet cable>router>ethernet cable>IC9700

Ports 50001-3 forwarded

Trying to connect remotely, outside the LAN using verizon phone as hotspot to laptop and download of Wfview. My understanding is that I use the phones IP address rather than the radio specific IP?

I also have modem set to issue the same IP with the WAN off the radio… i think…

I cant get DSTAR to tx either so not sure. I guess ill just have to pay for the stupid ICOM software fuquery.

the usb cable, why is that?

…? You kind of have to have it for software…

John T. Branam
ChoiceSpine Sales Representative
Branam Enterprises President & C.E.O.
johnbranam@gmail.com

I think that Roeland’s point is you don’t need to use USB to the IC-9700 as it already has a network server built-in.

To connect to your IC-9700 from outside the LAN, you would need to forward UDP ports 50001-3 (UDP not TCP) to the IP address of the IC-9700, and then connect to your external IP address from your remote PC.

There is no need to use the wfview server in this configuration as that is really designed for USB only radios like the IC-7300

73 Phil M0VSE

Well it doesn’t work either way

John T. Branam
ChoiceSpine Sales Representative
Branam Enterprises President & C.E.O.
johnbranam@gmail.com

It is most likely a configuration issue, this video shows you the necessary configuration Port Forwarding for Icom Radios - YouTube

John,

for network access, an USB cable is not needed, and in fact makes things complicated both in setting up as well as understanding how the stuff is connected.

In the case of your setup, we need first to be sure that your laptop connects directly to the network without an USB cable.

Laptop – 9700. If that does not work, the chance of getting it to work outside of your local network is next to zero I am afraid.

So you need to set up the network in the 9700’s settings first. We can help you with that.

John, can we still help you ?

Roeland,

Thanks,

I have set up the network for the 9700 and issued an IP address, as well as tried DHCP, I have opened port 50000-50003 as well as 78xx whatever for HRD and WSJTX etc, I MUST use the USB cable for data xfer from the programs to the radio (HRD/WFview/WSJTX) or else there would be no COM port connection. I am not trying to set up the network via USB, I have a LAN cable plugged in as well. The ethernet cable is running from the 9700 to a router which I have specifically for the shack computer (hardwired not WLAN), the router is plugged from its WAN/LAN port to the main router/modem combo from United Telephone, I have DSL (likely the other issue but I get over 50mbps), I configured the ports etc for the router IP… I can make it work every time with my radio IP and my server computer IP but never from outside the WLAN or LAN.

John T. Branam

KQ4ADO

President & C.E.O.

Branam Enterprises, LLC

(615)-812-0999

Hi John.

I think this is where the confusion has come in. The design of wfview is that it is the ONLY connection to the radio and this is achieved over the LAN/WAN. There is no need to have a direct USB/COM connection as the same data is transferred over the network link. WSJT-X can use wfview’s built-in rigctl daemon to control the radio. With HRD, as it doesn’t support rigctld, you can use a virtual serial port emulator https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/sharing-control/ to achieve the same thing. This allows all programs to share the same single network connection to the radio and NO USB connection.

Your router must be configured to forward UDP ports 50001-50003 to the IP address of your IC-9700. You should then be able to connect into your radio remotely. When remote, you will need to change the radio IP address that is configured in wfview to your external address. A quick way to find out what your external address is can be achieved by visiting https://whatismyip.com which on your local LAN.

73 Phil M0VSE

Yup, did all that… no joy.

John T. Branam

KQ4ADO

President & C.E.O.

Branam Enterprises, LLC

(615)-812-0999

in order to trouble shoot, I take out variables, or other details that definitely makes the whoe issue a cloudy one.

For network setup, there is no need for an USB cable. For the later different software, you can add it if you like.

However in this case we need to be able to set up the bare minimum what’s needed to be sure that all that is suggested works.

So, for me to help you, I need to have a few things done there.

• get out the USB cable
  • log on to your network with your laptop.
  • find out what your default gateway is and netmask
  • ping the default gateway
  • if you know that this works, we are going to the 9700 and use DHCP or a static setup where
    I can see if all what’s in the 9700 is config’d, is right.
  • Then we are going to ping the 9700 from your laptop.

If above is NOT working, I can tel you for sure that it will NOT, I mean NEVER work.
Drop the portforwarding and all. We start with the bare minimum required to have wfview being able to see and ping the 9700. All other details are just noise and will definitely makes troubleshooting if the config you use there difficult.

oh and what OS do you use?

ps, the ICOM software won’t work either as it uses the same config/path.

any updates on the tests, config?

@KQ4ADO John,

can we help? I sent an extensive list of things to test and do to find out what’s working and what not and
these issues unanswered with “SUCCESS” at the end should not happen.

Here have the same problem. How can connect from outside LOCAL NETWORK? When are in the same IP RANGE in LOCAL IP 192.168.1.xxx all is OK but when the PC is out of my LAN with other IP out my house ¿How may configuration?

If you tell about your network topology, what router(s) you have, if your ISP gives you a fixed ip etc…

Some people might help you here

Have you concidered using a dynamic DNS and port forwarding ?

All,

I have successfully connected to my 7610 thru T-Mobile cellular ISP w/ CGNAT using Tailscale (Wireguard) and the subnet routing feature over WAN.

I am not at all network savvy. The installation and configuration is pretty straight forward.

Jeff
W9KW

I logged into my modem to get the IP address of it assigned by the Internet Service Provider, and into the router to set up Port Forwarding to the IP address of my radio server.

I then configured my remote application to talk to the modem’s address which rarely if ever changes. Works well!

I am using Comcast as my ISP and my radio is a IC-7610.

If you don’t understand this, ask your ISP and your modem/router vendors for help.