ICOM 7300 no audio

I have been able to get my ICOM 7300 to interact with WFView, as I can see the waterfall and stuff, but I cannot transmit audio using my PCs mic, and can’t transfer audio at all in USB mode, nor do I hear the radios audio on my pc. My test computer is running Windows 8.1. I am using the latest alpha build.

Hi Zeke,

When the computer you are sitting in front of is plugged into the radio, with or without wfview, you can of course use applications on the computer to send and receive audio, such as fldigi or wsjt-x.

The audio controls in wfview, with the IC-7300, are intended to allow you to enable the wfview server functionality, which streams the audio and control over the internet to, say, a second computer like a laptop running wfview.

If you just want to use your PC mic and speaker with the IC-7300, and your computer is plugged in to the 7300, all you need to do is use audio loopback software on your PC to route audio from your PC mic to the 7300 USB audio input, and, to route the USB audio source to a set of PC speakers. You can do this without wfview.

If you run a copy of wfview to use as a server on say, a dedicated PC in your shack, and then you run another copy of wfview on a laptop somewhere else in your house (or even somewhere else in the world), you would then use the laptop mic/speaker, which would work without any loopback software since wfview simply uses the speaker and mic on the laptop natively.

Let me know if you have questions, there’s a lot to think about here!

–E
de W6EL

Do you think you could please send me to a good tutorial on the topic?

Have you looked through the User Manual? There’s a lot of good info there. There is a chapter on remote operation, and also one on audio configurations which covers loopback audio devices (although it isn’t written for using a PC microphone, if you read it carefully you should be able to do so).

–E
de W6EL

Can you please explain it to me like I’m five years old, I have the VB-Cable drivers but I don’t necessarily understand how they allow me to route the two together?

Hi Zeke,

I appreciate your request, sometimes I need things spelled out for me as well. Are you 100% sure you want to plug the 7300 into a computer and then use the PC microphone on that same computer? I’m just asking, to make sure we’re on the same page.

As for explaining the specific steps to re-route radio audio into your system’s audio, we’ll need a windows user to chime in as I do not actually use windows.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

See: https://forum.vb-audio.com

See also: https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Find the section containing the following text: “Simple & Easy! All audio streams sent to VB-CABLE inputs (Playback Device) will be forwarded to VB-CABLE outputs (Recording Device).” This section contains an annotated illustration of audio routing.