Icom 736 can't enable address.

I tried doing everything i read in a previous post, but have no luck. I am using 1.2 e build and it can do frequency counter, and lsb usb am and such. Nothing else seems to work i assuming because of address. I am using a usb ci- v cable.

Hi Frank,

That’s about all the IC-736 provides for computer control. Frequency and mode. Not even metering!

You can use wfview to access the radio remotely, and despite the limited controls, streaming audio works fine. If your USB adapter includes PTT support, then you can even key up and have a QSO.

I wish it had a little more available but this radio really has very few commands. Many of the features are not even controlled by the microprocessor.

Despite this, I have one and I think it’s a good radio.

–E
de W6EL

Ok thank you for the quick reply. Am i putting in the radio wrong with this address IC-736:40h ? i confirmed in radio settings it is the correct address.

Hi Frank,

That seems like the right address. Check the box about using it as the model id too. You should see “IC-736” in the bottom corner and window title if you have it set up correctly.

—E
de W6EL

Hi Frank,

I just confirmed that my 736 is on 0x40. Make sure CI-V Transceive is enabled, this will help wfview track frequency changes made at the radio. You may also want to try using the highest baud rate with the polling in wfview set to 200ms. If you get errors, decrease the baud rate until the performance is smooth.

With wfview, we do plan on eventually getting audio plugins and maybe an audio-based waterfall going, which would work on the 736. But we can’t expand on the features the radio doesn’t offer.

The CI-V, PTT, and Audio to USB adapter that I use is xggcomms “Digimode-4-Icom”. It provides isolated audio, a PTT line (since there isn’t a transmit command on this radio) connected to RTS, and of course, CI-V. This interface works on my IC-718 as well.

If you have any questions, I’m your vintage-Icom-obsessed friend. Ask away.

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m not very computer savvy, I can’t seem to find enable trancieve . I’m running a valley communications usb cable and probably isn’t good enough I’d imagine. I get this when I try to put the ci-v address ( <OxEO )

The CI-V Transceive setting is in the radio menu.

To be clear, CI-V is enabled by pressing buttons on the radio itself. It’s somewhere in the menu near the CI-V baud rate setting.

Ok thank you, I’ll look now.

Yes sir it was on. I also tried 5 bytes to 4 bytes for data length and no difference.

Keep it at 5 bytes. The 4-byte setting was for older radios.

Your issue says “can’t enable address”. What do you mean exactly by this?

–E
de W6EL

In the ci-v and model tab, I have manual address and use ci-v address tabs clicked. When I put in my radio model I get address must be < OxEO

Are you typing “40”? That is how I would type it.

It may be a bug if you are using a much older version of wfview. Please make sure you’re using “v1.2e” from our downloads page at minimum.

–E
de W6EL

Yeah we fixed this issue about a year ago:

Try a newer version if this issue is holding you back. There are lots of improvements.

–E
de W6EL

Yes sir I am running 1.2 e.

Yes sir I tried every way possible no luck, im thinking the cable isn’t up to par. Or my 4 year old laptop can’t do it.

Got the address to work, thank you so much for your help. Enjoy what’s left of the weekend!