ICOM 7610 Receive Antenna

Because of noise in my area I am forced to use a loop receive antenna. It works fine with my 7610. However I am unable to select it from the Wfview software. Is there some hidden way to select it or is this something that will be added later?

Thanks for some great software.

Jim Gay
wa6our

1 Like

Hi James,

I haven’t tried it personally as I don’t have that radio (…yet…), but there is an antenna pop-down menu. It does not differentiate between transmit and receive antennas, it merely “selects” that antenna as active.

We may put in a proper “matrix” antenna interface for radios that have multiple coax connectors. The 7800 and 7850 have several, for example.

For now, if the Antenna pop-down menu doesn’t quite do it, you can probably select the receive antenna using the radio, and then use wfview and just try not to bump the antenna selection box.

Let me know what you find. I’ve got four supported icom rigs at the moment but they all have only one antenna connector!

–E
de W6EL

Elliot,
As you mentioned it works when I select it from the radio. Unfortunately when I change bands from the software it usually gets disabled.

Thanks for the reply

Jim Gay
wa6our

if you select it for every band on the radio and save that selection? Could that be a temporary solution?

I will give it a try.

Thanks,

rest assured that at some point the antenna matrix hell will be addressed.
the 785x has 4 main ports and per RX also two rx pairs… and you can
save/restore that kind of stuff in that matrix. That’s somewhat of a challenge
for now.

I’ll try and seehow it works out with my rig and see if wfview switching follows the
saved ports in the rig I have. If yes, it would work for you too.

In the mean time: if yo uhave checked and found out that it works, let us know.

I tried setting 1/R for 20 Meters moved to a broadcast band where I also set 1/R. When I returned to 20 Meters the receive antenna was not selected.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Jim
wa6our

Jim,

I saved the settings in tghe matriox presented in the 785x and it retained while switching between bands here. I was hoping that would work for the 7610 too. Oh well. The good news is that in the near future we may have a testversion that adds some functionality in the ANT switching part.

Roeland,

I will play with it some more to see if I can somehow save things.
Looking forward to the test version. Will be glad to test it.

Jim
wa6our

Hi James.

The current antenna selection in my development branch of wfview seems to work quite well with the 7610. wfview is now correctly following the antenna settings of the radio and has an RX checkbox which allows you to select the RX Antenna.

Once we have tested this more thoroughly, we will release another 1.1 test version. I assume you are on Windows?

73 Phil M0VSE

Phil,
I use an iMac as my prefered system. I can test both WIndows and Linux however using other systems that I have.

Jim
wa6our

Hi Jim,

If you use the build script mentioned in the Download page, you can have the latest version compiled and installed for you with Linux. The script defaults to the Master branch, which has these changes. The script is designed and tested for Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, and Raspberry Pi.

–E
de W6EL

i will give it a try,
Thanks,
Jim
wa6our

I did as you suggested and the Receive antenna works fine.
Thanks for all the good work.
Jim
wa6our