Icom IC7300 serial to IP and connecting by remote over internet?

New to this program, but I like what I see on it. I’ve been remoting radios for about 10 years or so. I see this program can give the IC7300 and IP address to remote control.

I can connect fully with the radio on the connected computer with wfview. I’m not getting the remote computer to work. I have set up the IP on the program and Port forwarding to the connected computer.

If I enter in the wrong password on the remote computer it tells me the password or username is wrong, but if its correct I don’t get any messages and I don’t seem to have a connection.

I’m not sure what that means.

My router has the IP address of the radio listed as a connected device, so I think all is good on that end.

Any ideas of what I need to look at?
Thanks.

Hi Erik.

The USB Server part of wfview is still quite ‘new’ and isn’t really ready for ‘prime time’ yet. I haven’t actually tried sharing a USB connected radio that way so leave it with me and I will do some testing.

73 Phil M0VSE

Okay great, thanks Phil.

Yes, I see this is all new and under development. I appreciate what you guys are doing.

In any case, what testing I was able to do, the COM to IP bridge seems to work at least partially. The radio is assigned an IP address and can be seen in the routers connected devices.

I tried connecting through the local network and threw the public network by remote computer, both give me the same sort of responses. It seems like it thinks it’s connected but no data is being transferred.

It is a little confusing on the setup but maybe this is where the disconnect is. In the “Settings” tab you have the option to enable USB or enable LAN, but not both. If I select enable LAN I don’t see how the programs knows how to connect to the radio. You can’t have both selected at the same time to enable selecting the COM port of the radio.

Or any chance it may be the IP addressing. Since the computer the radio is connected to has its own IP address, should I use the same Local IP as the computer has in the radio settings?

Hi Erik.

I just checked the server function and what ‘did’ work isn’t working at the moment so it looks like I have broken something at some point…

The idea is the USB/LAN radio buttons are for the radio connection. The Server function is independent of this and (should) allow you to share a USB connected radio over LAN but this bit isn’t working right now.

73 Phil M0VSE

I see no option to start a new topic so allow me to mis-use this topic.
I am running WSJT-X and Log4OM on a mini PC under W10. As both programs use the USB com Port to my IC-7300, I use OmniRig to have both access to the same Port.
I wonder if I want to use Wfview for remote operation on my holiday home and keep the logging by Log4OM, can I use Wfview?

73, Fred - PA3BZT

I created a CI-V / LAN Bridge ( to send / receive CI-V messages inside UDP packets) and was able to remotely control my 7300 with Transceive messages from my R8600. I also updated 7300’s & date time derived from an NTP server. Was fun but I guess the Remote Port is too slow to convey the waterfall data in anything close to real time … I might try it someday and see if something useful can be done. Perhaps my hardware controller could “talk” to Wfview ?

hi John,

in order to have a close to real time experience, you need to connect a rig via ethernet and not USB.
In other words, a 7300 does not nearly go real time speedwise. An 8600 or 7610, 9700, 785x will though if you use the ethernet connectivity.

Hi John,

I am using my linux pc to serve the IC-7300 with wfview. It’s working pretty well. The waterfall is slower in terms of updates per second, but it is real-time and should not seem delayed or laggy if things are connected together correctly. It is as real-time as any, just not as lively. To be clear, I run wfview on a linux PC connected with USB to the 7300, and then I run a second wfview on my laptop (at the park or at home or wherever) and can use the rig, see the waterfall, s-meter, and hear the audio.

That is really cool that you ran the IC-R8600 like a very fancy controller for the IC-7300. I never would have thought to try something like that. Were you using wfview to make that bridge possible?

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Elliott,

I have confirmed that the attenuation works on the IC-7000, as of 18-May-2021 release.

Thanks and 73’s – Glenn – WA6BJQ

Hi Glenn,

That’s great, thank you for letting us know. I don’t know if I’ll get the IF bandwidth knob in for the first release, but it will get in sooner or later.

–E
de W6EL

Elliot to give you more information about the translation, the integrated program on n1mm is called translation management which can be found in configuration on the n1mm menu, this program extrapolates the original language (English) and create an excel file with XML extension, in the language modification phase it is renamed with the extension .xlsx done the work is collected in xml and it is loaded to the translation management program and this program will be rewritten in the language you have chosen all the menus etc. in fact, if you look at the configuration menu at the other drop-down then you will find the language box and from there you can change the language at your convenience once the integration is performed. It would be a nice job to do on WF many radio amateurs would be happy. 73 Ale

Hi Ale,

For qt applications, there is a built-in translation and internationalization concept, where the user may specify their region preference, either manually or automatically from the OS.

The way it works, is in the code, we specify a special notation among widgets where the name may be translated. Then there is a “.tr” file that contains translations of each name.

I haven’t done it before, but we do encounter this kind of thing now and then as we add features to wfview. Here is one very simple example:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtlinguist-arrowpad-example.html#translating-to-french-and-dutch

After we get through Release 1, I’d like to take a closer look at how to do it. It seems that our GUI framework provides a lot of support for translations.

Thanks again,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot good morning

Ok we can try teaduction in this way many radio amateurs will find interest in trying WF. If you need help, let me know.

73 Ale

The original subject of this post includes “Remote over internet” so I hope I’m not hijacking it too much by offering a solution I have found.

I use a remote desktop protocol (RDP) program to access the local desktop remotely.
The one I use is Splashtop but there are probably a bunch out there - including Microsoft’s own built-in version (in the higher versions of Windows, I think.)
There are some drawbacks to this; first, because the entire graphics environment is being transmitted, it needs a pretty good and fairly low latency connection to work. It’s probably also compute cycle intensive at both ends.
However, there are also some advantages; no need to set up anything on your local PC besides the RDP client so it’s pretty easy, and my personal favorite is that I can use my mobile phone to access my home PC. With Android, a mouse can be added (a Logitech Bluetooth mouse works great out of the box) and the fine resolution of clicking on things makes even such small screens pretty useful.

Just get the server and radio set up on the home PC, the remote in with the client on either a PC or cell phone and it works.

Hi Mark,

The bandwidth required right now for operation with audio and waterfall is around 100kib/sec. It’s quite low. To view the waterfall over VNC/RDP/Teams/TeamViewer/what-not is probably more like watching a video and excessive.

I also enjoy the slick feeling of a native application running on the desktop compared to connecting and viewing a remote screen (not to mention setting up the audio).

Have you tried wfview connecting to a second computer with wfview and a 7300? It’s amazing, you will feel like you’re at the rig and the audio is very low-latency. This capability is built-in to wfview and it works quite well. I’ve had my 7300 server running for several days now from my garage, and it is working quite well.

–E

Good to know Elliot and I’ll certainly try it.
This is the fist rig I’ve had with a waterfall display (except WSJT of course) and that seems to work acceptably well, assuming a decent internet connection.

Brief local testing shows that - at least with Splashtop - the waterfall refresh rate doesn’t overload my Samsung Note 10 at all. If the waterfall were as fast as the radio - like on the ethernet connected radios - it might be more of an issue.
I still have yet to test audio but given the video speed, I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work on a decent connection.

Obviously the RDP solution is not the most ideal but it is something that is quick and easy - if a software works on the home PC, it will work on a cell phone anywhere you have a faster enough and low enough latency connection to make it work.
It’s not going to be a contesting winner but it will allow me to use all the stuff I have installed on my PC without having to install it all again on a different PC, and it will work even if I only have my cell phone.

Maybe it’s just another tool in the tool box.
If nothing else, a user could at least remotely reconfigure Wfview and other stuff on the PC to make sure the fast connection works.

Hi Mark,

I ran it the same way as you basically when I started working on wfview. I used x11vnc to my home linux box, also with fldigi. (Forget raw X11 forwarding, it draws each pixel in the waterfall very slowly.)

With the wfview native server-client connection, you can do voice QSOs too.

I do connect to my other computers around the house when I test wfview. In fact, my rigs are in the garage, so I often connect over to them and see how things are.

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

From your garage? Pfffft! Let me shower and get some coffee and breakfast and I’ll try it from 12 time zones away! :wink:

Ken Alexander VE3HLS
So Phisai, Thailand (OK18rc)
Blog: bueng-ken.com

1 Like

Hey Ken,

I will say, using an HF station in The Netherlands (thanks Jim!) from California was very exciting. It was an IC-7610, so it had very fast waterfall display, excellent receiver, audio, the entire thing. It was great. And the band was filled with languages I don’t understand too.

If you like the fast waterfall, the IC-7610 is a nice package.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

The 7300’s waterfall looks pretty dismal on Win4Icom Suite. The same waterfall, though it’s no faster, looks beautiful on wfview. I also love the tuning knob, something Win4Icom doesn’t have (S&P in a contest is very difficult without a tuning knob). For those two reasons alone, I’ll stick with wfview and help where I can!

My remote station was built from the ground up. I had to buy everything and have it delivered to my host’s house then fly there to set it up: Rig, antenna, power supply, computer, UPS, keyer, antenna, 100 ft of LMR-400. That, excluding the air tickets, probably adds up to about the price of a 7610.

Ken