Install on Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon

Hello
I’m not really saddle in Linux, is there somewhere a workshop wfviev to install? Thank you dear OM,s/YL,s MINT 20.3

73 df7fr

Hi Heinz,

Please see this youtube video, it is from my own Linux Mint machine and should be fairly accurate for what you are doing:

Let me know if you encounter problems, I’d like to help fix them :).

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

Hello wfview team,
Hello Heinz,

first of all, a big thank you to all developers in the project team for this great software!
wfview has been in daily use here since version 1.1 ( July 2021 ).

Here the remote operation takes place with the transceivers (separately) IC-9700 or IC-705 via WLAN over a distance of 60m with 3 repeaters to the remote PC. Operation is very stable.

The description in the video tutorial (and wfview download webpage ) works perfectly.

Here wfview (daily dev) is running in Linux Mint…

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-104-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7
Linux Mint 20.3 Una
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal

Take your time to understand the different options for the settings in the software and on the tranceiver.

vy73
Andy

2 Likes

Andy,

Thank you for using wfview! I’m glad it’s working out for you so well.

What kind of repeaters are you using along the way?

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

Elliott,

the wlan-system here is from https://en.avm.de/

The type of avm repeater is mixed. This is no problem.

The little secret in router settings is the WiFi mesh function.
In my case, Repeater 1750E was set to partner Repeater 1160 and not to the router! (very easy to set in the box or repeater menu)

When using the basic mesh settings, the router always tries to maintain the best channel on 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz to all repeaters. That doesn’t work…

Andy

Friend, I’m traveling and am unable to connect to the Server. Now I’ll just say that I’m on “the periphery of understanding” of all of this, so I’m a bit technologically challenged. I do have a friend, however, who is extremely knowledgeable about such things and he’s been very helpful.

At my home, I’m using the IC-7300 and a Windows 10 machine. Both work well together using wfview using USB. Pretty awesome.

I followed the wonderful instructions in the video above and loaded it on my Linux machine. It worked immediately, save for some audio (perhaps latency) issues. Both machines were on my home network at the time.

In preparation for my trip, I tried connecting via my linux machine through my iphone data in order to be sure it would work from outside my home network. It didn’t, but I was told that was not surprising and that I should try to connect on another outside wifi network, which I was not able to do. I am now traveling and am unable to connect at a distance. Both the 7300 and the home PC are running and are online at home.

Here is the image of my Linux client. I’ve not seen a screen that looks like this one either in any Linux client videos or in image search, but that may not be an issue.

So this is a place to start. Thank you for your interest.

Hi Jeffrey,

Your screenshots are from our newer codebase. We will update our documentation to march soon.

Did you setup port forwarding for these three ports: 50001, 50002, 50003?

Can you share with us the log file generated?

Thanks,

—E
de W6EL