Is WFVIEW accessible via the internet from outside?

Is WFVIEW accessible via the internet from outside? If yes, how ?
I would like to use a DNS server in this case.
Thank you for your help.

Yes. You need to be familiar with port forwarding and then you can set it up so that you can access it.

You may want to see one of the videos on this topic that we have on our website under “Videos”

–E
de W6EL

I don’t know if I watched the right video but it’s not helpful at all.
I don’t understand your language… and above all it seems that in this video we are using an IC-705 (I have a 7300, very different)

Hi Robert,

It is probably beyond what I can explain. Yes, the capability is there, but you have to be comfortable being a sysadmin and understanding routers and port forwarding and so on.

One day we may come up with a low-configuration method to do this. Until then, it’s a bit tricky.

–E
de W6EL

So you don’t know…
There is no need to be a system administrator for this, in my opinion… let’s not exaggerate.

Who has ever done this? Who can tell me?

First of all, I tested a connection via my local network and my local IP.
So I tested: 192.16x.xx.xx:5001.
The connection failed.
Is this the correct port after the wfview server IP (raspberry)?

May I suggest you check the about box of wfview?

No that isn’t the correct port, and how did you try connecting? You need a reasonable knowledge of computer networking to achieve what you are trying to do.

Can I suggest that you read (and understand) the manual section that covers this Remote Operation (server) | wfview

Phil M0VSE

What do you mean by: “May I suggest you check the about box of wfview?”
I don’t understand (the translation maybe, I don’t know…)
Before testing a connection via an external address and DNS server, I tested going through an internal IP address, as I do for other applications, from a Windows PC.
You tell me, “no this is not the right port” but then what would be the right port??? you don’t say it.

the reason why we say “the right port” is because of the fact that the owner of the software (you) are in control of choosing ports.

In other words, if I would say 50001/50002/50003 and you think, “I hate these ports, I make it 6000160002/60003”, you will end up mentioning that “it” does not work.

• did you read the FAQ
  • do you know what TCP and UDP is?
  • do you understand NAT, PAT?

“Who has ever done this? Who can tell me?”

many people have done the 705, 7300, 7610, 785x, 9700 etc.
we can but we need to be sure that people have read stuff, looked at things and know
at least the basics.

“First of all, I tested a connection via my local network and my local IP.
So I tested: 192.16x.xx.xx:5001.
The connection failed.”

Let’s assume you just mistyped 5001 and wanted to say 50001 here,
what did you do to test?

And what port did you enter in the configuration of the wfview server part?

Also if I look at the masking of your address, do you understand that th’s of no use
to mask it? Did you also know that the first x you wrote is an “8”?
(e.g. that even if you would have masked for a good reason, you don’t see that that wouldn’t make sense?). In whole, masking any private address is 100% useless. It’s not routable on the internet.

And that, Robert, tells me that sometimes we need a sysadmin.

So let’s restart the discussion here.

• did you read the FAQ
  • do you know what TCP and UDP is?
  • do you understand NAT, PAT?

ps given the fact that a video shows a 705 doesn’t make a difference. The 705 in a video is in your case your raspberry pi with wfview as server. Both are just doing the same on the server side. Nothing more, nothing less.

Roeland,
I put port 50001 but I have the impression that you take me a bit for an idiot when I read your answer…
also excuse me for hiding the 8 in my IP…

Hi Robert,

It’s all good. The documentation is on our website, give it a try if you’re feeling up for it.

The reason for our hesitation is because we have seen a lot of cases where folks try to run their own radio server, but find difficulties with routers, ip address, ports, dhcp assignments, and so on. It has turned out that walking people through setting up a server leads to great frustration and often without result. Most hams aren’t sysadmins, and that is fine, believe me.

Our feeling is this, we have put the documentation necessary on the website. And there are many tutorials on the internet (including youtube) on how to run a server for the IC-7300 with wfview. It really is up to you to decide if you can do it and to take those steps on your own.

Should you find a bug or a better way to document something, by all means, let us know.

–E
de W6EL

Sorry Elliot but unfortunately, you always give the same answers, namely go and see the documentation and videos on our site.
Do you understand that if I come here, it is because I did not find what I was looking for on the site, in the videos or others? and in the end, I don’t have a concrete answer from anyone.
My question was initially simple: access the server (Rpi) from the internet and in this case, if it was port 50001.
The answers are very, very rare here and I have the impression of coming across as an uneducated person who does not have your level.
It’s very disappointing. I will unsubscribe.

OK before I close this thread, can I make something very clear?

We are happy to help people and I think that we have demonstrated this fact numerous times, but we do this as a hobby, so we expect people to at least try to help themselves. We are NOT here to teach people basic concepts of computer networking, there are many other places where this knowledge can be gained.

Many people have been able to successfully configure the server built-in to wfview by referring to the available documentation, videos and by searching previous topics. If a specific issue occurs that isn’t covered there, then we are more than happy to offer assistance.

The questions raised on this thread show that no attempt has been made to do any of these things, or they were not understood. Especially as the answer to the specific question asked is covered directly in both the server section of the manual and the FAQ. Unfortunately we are not able to explain things in any more simple terms than this (or in most cases in a language other than English).

On a personal note, we have spent many 100s of hours developing wfview and have offered it for free to the community. When we are expected to then spend even more time answering the same questions over and over again, having also spent many hours creating extensive documentation, it becomes quite exhausting.

Anyway, that is my rant over.

Phil M0VSE

3 Likes