Linux port issue "Could not open Port"

This not an issue, just sharing understanding. Decided to rebuild my Intel NUC J4005 that I use as server for my IC-7300, from Windows 11 to Linux Mint 21.3 using a USB stick. I’m not what I’d descibed as literate in Linux, so was heavily reliant on Google searches, You Tube and this forum. I successfuly built Mint and with a few hiccups managed to compile Wfview. I had some issues setting up the USB ports and managed to get a connection. This didnt last, after restarting a few times I kept getting Port errors with the dreaded “Could not open port. Please restart” dialogue. I read posts regarding conflicts with other application. Using /dev/serial/by-id/ I found that I had only a single connection to the IC-7300. However, I saw from other posts on this forum that there was the possibility that the USB boot selection in the Bios was the problem. I found that turning off this boot selection, the USB port opens every time. Lesson learnt.

I have not heard that changing a BIOS USB Booting option would alter this condition.

I think most likely you are facing a permissions and/or port naming issue, which you can resolve consistently and permanently so using udev rules.

My favorite rule lately is to simply automatically own any serial devices to my own username. One may argue that certain group membership may resolve the issue, but in my experience, the following solution is better.

Here is the contents of my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-serialports.rules file (use your own username of course):

KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",MODE="0660", OWNER="eliggett"
KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*",MODE="0660", OWNER="eliggett"

Pretty simple, isn’t it? Now any serial port device connected will get owned to your username. You can get fancier by recognizing the device and giving it a nicer name, but these two lines alone are enough to get most people going. We detail udev rules in this article from our manual.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Thanks Elliot. The forum threads on the subject became confusing because of individual setup arrangements. The only app on my NUC (with Mint) in Wfview. I’ll give your script a go.

BTW do you have a recommendation for a Linux Mint compatible Virtual Audio Cable so I can run JTDX?

Kind regards
Peter Juett
Unit 385/36 Hillier Rd.,
Hillier SA 5116
pjuett@adam.com.au

Check out manual, we have a page on this very topic called “Audio Configuration”. Scroll down a bit for Linux.

Hi Elliot,
As I’m not fluent in Linux, I’m a little confused. Should the text file for the udev rule be:
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-7300_02035104”, SYMLINK+=“IC7300”, OWNER=“peter”
or
KERNEL==“ttyUSB[0-9]",MODE=“0660”, OWNER=“peter”
KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]
”,MODE=“0660”, OWNER=“peter” ?

Kind regards
Peter Juett VK5COV
Unit 385/36 Hillier Rd.,
Hillier SA 5116
pjuett@adam.com.au

Hi Peter,

Assuming you have typed everything correctly, the first bit of text will take care of everything. Don’t forget to reboot.

If the first bit of text does not produce a port named /dev/IC7300, then you can try, instead, the second bit of text, which will leave the port names alone but at least make sure they are owned to you.

–E
de W6EL

be sure you insert the right serial number of your rig as well.

I have for instance

roeland@taplop:~> sudo cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-7851 03001140 A”, SYMLINK+=“IC7851A”
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-7851 03001140 B”, SYMLINK+=“IC7851B”
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-7300 03001507”, SYMLINK+=“IC7300”
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-9700 13001202 A”, SYMLINK+=“IC9700A”
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“10c4”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“ea60”, ATTRS{serial}==“IC-9700 13001202 B”, SYMLINK+=“IC9700B”

and I also am in the dialout group:

uid=1005(roeland) gid=100(users) groups=490(dialout),443(wireshark),1002(plugdev),100(users)

Thanks Jansen, I now have control. I opened the manual on my NUC and cut and pasted the script. Must have inadvertently miss spelt something. The loopback on the server is finally installed OK. Now to solve the audio issues on the Remote Laptop. My server is a Linux machine on a NUC, should my Remote Laptop be a Linux machine too, or is there functionality between Linux loopback and VB Audio Cable on a Win11 machine?

Kind regards
Peter Juett VK5COV

You can mix and match platforms without issue.

I recommend trying the microphone on your remote machine first and making sure that works. Then move to the virtual audio cables (as needed).

Our Audio FAQ has a lot of good tips.

As for the serial port, udev is super picky. You may want to do some google searching or ask elsewhere to troubleshoot your serial port naming. In the mean time, use the two lines I sent you to assure that at least port permissions are taken care of.

—E
de W6EL