No Audio coming to Wfview with IC-9700

Dear Friends, Let me start by saying this is a wonderful software. I have the RSBAv2 too, but this one Wfview seems straight forward. I am able to connect my IC-9700 to my laptop (Windows 10) and Wfview is able to connect to the COM port and also show me the Waterfall.

But I don’t get any Audio to my Laptop from the Radio. I tried to read the User Manual does did not find exactly the description where it says how to get the Audio to the Laptop and also use the MIC on my Laptop to modulate.

I am able to control the Radio via Wfview though. Just that I am not able to TX audio from Wfview and RX audio to my Laptop.

Any help please how to set Audio up?

Regards,
Venkat

1 Like

Hi Venkat.

Are you connecting to the IC9700 via COM (USB) port or LAN? If connected via USB, wfview is mainly designed to be used as a server for a remote wfview running on another computer as it doesn’t make much sense using wfview to listen to audio for a computer that is directly connected to it. To achieve this, select the USB audio devices of the rig as the audio input/output ports.

If this is the case, you are going to be much better off connecting to the IC9700 over LAN (ethernet). If you are connected over LAN then you simply select your preferred audio input/output ports and choose modulation input of LAN and connect to the radio.

You also don’t mention what operating system you are using?

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Phil,

I am running Windows 10 OS in my Laptop, I had mentioned that in my post.

Actually, my use case is: I want my IC-9700 to connect to my Laptop over USB locally, then use Wfview and view the Waterfall and also get audio to it, so that I can RX and TX from Wfview directly. I am not needing the Remote operations. I am always at my Laptop locally.

Is that possible?

I will explore the LAN option, the main problem for me is, IC-9700 has only Ethernet wired connection and there is no ETH wiring till the Radio. But I am also checking if I can have a ETH to WiFi bridge, I am exploring that.

Meanwhile, the best for me is USB and get Audio to the local Laptop.

Regards,
73/Venkat VU3OIM

Hi Venkat.

In this situation, there is no need to use wfview for audio directly as you already have the USB audio input/output ports provided by the rig. If you are using digital modes, simply connect your software to these audio devices. You can ‘listen’ to the audio coming from the rig by setting the ‘listen to this device’ option within the Windows control panel.

The main downside with connecting to the 9700 over USB is that the waterfall is significantly slower than the one provided over LAN though.

73 Phil M0VSE

Thankyou so much Phil. I am able to get the Audio into my Laptop speaker by the method you showed above (i.e. via ‘listen to this device’).

But still my use case is (all over USB),

1. Get the Rig Audio into the Laptop speaker <== Works after you described the above method

2. Use Wfview to Transmit so that my Laptop microphone is used as Audio input

Is that possible?

If not, then I will next investigate the LAN option.

Regards,
Venkat
VU3OIM

Hi Venkat.

I can’t think of any way to route the laptop microphone direct to the radio over USB. It may be possible using some kind of audio mixer software but I haven’t tried this.

Connection over LAN is by far the best option!

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Phil,

Ok got it. I will try out the LAN option.

I have been observing, you have been very promptly replying to all posts of everyone.
Really appreciate that, thanks.

73 de VU3OIM
Venkat