No Audio on Mac

Hi All,
I can’t seem to get audio from my IC-R8600 to my Mac. One of them is an M1 Macbook Pro with 12.6, and the other is an older Intel iMac with 10.13. The iMac audio is fine when I boot to Windows 7, but nothing on OSX. My Macbook pro has fine audio, if I connect a USB cable to the radio (WFView config for Network connection), but nothing without the cable. I have tried QT, Port Audio (crashes app), and RT. My laptop did receive audio once, but stopped without changing any settings. I can upload logs.

I’m totally confused.

Thanks

Hi Carol,

Wfview does not support or make use of usb port audio (unless you are running a radio server, which you are not).

For network radios, we do support audio over the network. This includes your R8600.

Question: What audio device have you selected under Radio Access for the network connection?

Thanks,

—E
de W6EL

Hi,
I am using Macbook Pro Speakers and Microphone. My only other choice is MS Teams audio. Perhaps I didn’t explain myself well. I tried the USB cable while the Radio Connection was set to Network. Audio worked when connected in this way. I have no plans to use a USB connection.

Thanks,
Carol, K1CSF

Hi Carol,

When you connect the USB cable you can use the radio audio directly, such as in fldigi. But it has no bearing on hearing the radio sound through your speakers. It may have worked due to coincidence or some odd unintended behavior.

Anyway,

Can you select your Mac speaker and mic, change to “QT Audio”, Save Settings, and then close wfview? Next open wfview. If you have any audio trouble, press “Log” and then press “send to termbin”. It will present you with a URL in a few seconds, which you can then paste into your reply here. Then we can take a look and maybe figure something out. There are some interesting subtle audio issues we run into sometimes with device selection, for example.

Thanks,

—E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

Thanks! Makes sense that the audio may be passed over the USB cable.

Here’s the logfile…

https://termbin.com/ci4jf

Carol, K1CSF

Hi

There is an issue that can cause wfview to not select audio devices if they are the only device on the system. If you have a USB headset or other similar audio device, can you try using that instead?

We will hopefully be releasing a version that fixes this issue soon.

Thanks

Phil

That’s the ticket! I plugged in a Signalink.

Thanks Phil !

Carol

I just plugged my headphones into my MBP. The sound still came from the speakers. Interesting.

Carol

Hi All,

Any chance there’s a beta fix for this issue? I would be happy to test it.

Thanks,

Carol, K1CSF

Hi Carol,

Make sure you plug the headset in prior to opening wfview. Next, when wfview is opened, press “Disconnect”. Now head over to Settings and Radio Access, and select the USB headset. Press “Connect”. If it works, press “Save Settings”.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

It works ok when I plug in an external sound card, and plug my headphones into it. I was hoping there may be a beta fix so I don’t have to use an external sound card.

Thanks!

Carol, K1CSF

Hi Carol,

Glad it works with the external card.

I think @phil is planning to rework a lot of the audio device selection code. It’s quite tricky, and all three platforms need some help. I don’t know what timeline there is on that fix, and it’ll of course also depend upon how difficult it ends up being one we get into it.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Ok. Thanks for the update. I’d be happy to help test once a fix is ready.