No audio on wfview client side (Mackbook)

I am trying to use wfview to remotely connect my ICOM7300 to my Macbook Pro. In detail:

ICOM7300 → RaspberryPI (wfview server) → WIfi → Macbook (BigSur) → wfview-client → wsjt-x

Configuration on wfview-server (v1.2c):

  • Modulation input: USB
  • Data Mod input: USB
  • Audio Output: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown …
  • Audio Input: alsa_inout.usb-Burr-Brown …

Configuration on wfview-client (v1.2c):

  • Modulation input: USB
  • Data Mod input: USB
  • Audio Output: Soundflower (2ch)
  • Audio Input Soundflower (2ch)
  • Sample rate: 48000
  • AF and RF: max

Configuration on wsjt-x:

  • Output: Soundflower (2ch)
  • Input Soundflower (2ch)

On client side, I see the spectrum within rfview
In wsjt-x, I can control the ICOM (e.g. change frequency), but there is nothing in the waterfall, and no db level on the bar left hand.

Monitoring the network traffic, I can see that udp packets from ports 50001, 50002 and 50003 coming in at the Macbook. I also temporarily switched off the firewall on the Machbook without any changes. Client and server are within the same subnetwork.

For test, I changed the audio input/output device from Soundflower to VB-cable within the wfview client and wsjt-x without any changes. also configured the built-in loudspeaker device as audio output device without hearing anything.

I installed a wfview client and wsjt-x on a Windows10 virtual machine on same Macbook, and here it works as expected. So I expect that there is no error on the wfview server side (as this is the same in both cases).

I am now at the end of my ideas.

73 Peter DL5DLA

Hi Peter,

If you do not use VB-Cable and do not use Soundflower, do you have audio using the normal laptop speaker/mic working? I would definitely make sure it works this way first, and then dive into the world of loopback audio.

de W6EL

Hi Peter,

I was going to suggest the same thing as Elliott, if you prove that audio is working to the wfview client then the problem is definitely the audio loopback interface or wsjt-x.

One issue with most of the free audio loopback interfaces is that they only offer a single audio connection. So in theory, you are connecting the speaker out of wfview into the microphone in. I’m not sure what effect this will have on wsjt-x? The commercial (paid) versions offer multiple connections and I have tested a number of these successfully in Windows.

73 Phil

Many thanks for your answers. It’s working now. Problem indeed was WSJT-X. For test, I installed JTDX, which worked without issues. Finally, I reinstalled WSJT-X and that solved the issue. It’s working now with Soundflower and vb-cable as well. Currently I still have some problems with stability (server is running, but client loses connection, I have to restart the raspberry on server side).

Hi Peter.

Which RPi are you using? I have an 8GB Pi4 that has been running wfview server for over a week without issue, so it is possible that the machine is running-out of RAM/CPU?

73 Phil

Hi Phil,
it’s a RPi 3. The errors occur very soon after reboot, and in different ways:

  • wsjt-x reports serial port open error, but I can select “ok” at the messages and it works again. So may be just a temporarily hickup.
  • the wfclient client spectrum freezes. The client seems to be connected to the server, but when I try to reconnect, the client can’t find the radio.
    On server side everything seems to be ok, I cat see the varying spectrum.
  • When I change some setting on client side, the connection to the server seems to be lost sometimes.

I guess that in all cases the network connection between client and server is lost for a small time, and then the client is not able to reconnect to the server. I have to sort this behavior in more detail. First idea was that the the wifi connection of the raspberry might be not that stable, but the alternative LAN connection had the same issue. I will continue to troubleshoot …

73 Peter