Performance

Having an ic-7300 - running it localy (usb) with no problem. When running remotely i can see that the waterfall is a bit slow. Using mac at both ends. The same for quality of the sound. I see comments on this forum that USB is slower than ethernet - so will changing to a icom with ethernet give me better quality on waterfall and sound? And is there any difference using win10 or pi - as OS in this situation? It is mostly strong CW signals that gives me some noice.

ethernet definitely is faster. much faster when it comes to scope. the latencies (diff in tim ebetween what the rigs hears vs what the laptop “hears” is a complex one that has many variables.

“better quality” is a difficult term here. strong signals may distrort on the rig and remotely when the noise blanker is set too agressive; or the agc is set to off. Note that the representation of the s-meter afaik does not change the way it reacts, depending on agc/mode settings (yet)

Hi Pål,

Since the 7300 does not have ethernet, you’ll have to use the USB. I agree, the waterfall from the USB is not as fast as we’d like it to be. I believe Icom intentionally limited the speed so that there would be sufficient margin on the serial port bandwidth for other rig activity (such as aggressive polling).

You should not be seeing any degradation of sound quality. wfview uses very high quality sound codecs (the same as the ethernet radios). If it sounds odd, you may want to check the USB level settings in the radio’s menu, and make sure it’s around 50-75%. (That’s where mine is set.) It really should sound stellar. Even Roeland’s radios across the pond sound great over here on the western US coast. If you’re hearing packet loss or anything odd like that I would definitely check your network out.

And the same for the waterfall, it should look the same like this:
IC-7300 --USB-- Mac – wfview
as it does with this:
IC-7300 --USB-- Mac – wfview – ethernet – Mac – wfview

The data are copied verbatim from one instance of wfview to the other. The only exception would be if you have some extreme packet loss issue.

You also asked about Pi vs Win 10. In generally, if the minimum requirements of speed and memory are met, there should not be any difference. I would personally use a Pi or a Linux PC for the server end, simply because I have more experience working that way, but there should not be a fundamental difference. We do have some changes to the audio backend depending upon the platform, and it is possible that there are minor differences in latency or jitter that we haven’t noticed yet.

Maybe the strong CW is too loud at the radio’s USB audio converter? Have a look at those settings in the radio’s menu for the USB audio level (receive).

Thanks, and let us know what you find,

–E
de W6EL

Thanks for answer on my questions - to both of you. I have tried to change the audio/usb settings but can’t get any better results. I have a solid communication between my location and the remote location(fiber optics) - so the is no loss of packages. I have the same problem when connected I my internal LAN. But I have found a solution the works very good - by using win10 as a server and win10 as a client. In this situation I have a splendid audio quality from the radio(IC 7300). So my “problem” seems to be related to Mac.
I am starting to set up a log-program (log4om) - and will this work from client side.? Can I install log4om on the client and use omnirig for sharing the com port? - or must I use remote control(Anydesk) and install log4om on the server? I do not find any comments on this subject in the manual or forum. I have now started using wfview both remotely and local and I am impressed. Thanks de La7hm

Thanks Roeland - se my reply at the bottom of this subject.

Hi Pål,

I suspect the mac as a server has been tested the least. You may well have found a bug. Glad you found a way to get it working though!

–E
de W6EL