Pixelbook 2017 install - successful

Okay color me impressed, I was able to install wfview on my 2017 Pixelbook running under Linux in Chrome OS 90.

Following the Debian Build Script instructions I was able to install and once complete connect to my IC-705 via the built in wlan server and control and get audio out of the Chromebook. Still need to do more testing but now that Linux support on Chrome OS is coming to more Chromebooks natively this opens up so more opportunities to move away from the RPI in the field. Don’t get me wrong I love my RPI but it can be fragile. Now to work on getting FT-8 and JS8Call working on the Chromebook.

Josh - KB6FJ

Hi Josh,

Color me impressed too! Can you describe exactly how you did this? Also, how was the audio?

Thanks!

–Elliott
de W6EL

In Chrome OS Linux support needs to be turned on in settings.
My Pixelbook is a Intel Core i5 so it seems to work well, I don’t know if it will work on a ARM based Chromebook.

Once there I downloaded the Debian install script made it executable and then ran it.
then after typing the wfview command it opens in a window on the Chrome OS desktop.
The audio I’ve listen to thus far sound pretty good.

Settings that work for me are below

• Select Connect over LAN
  • Set your Chromebook the the SSID of the IC-705
  • The default IP for the IC-705 wlan server is 192.168.59.1
  • You do have to go into the 705 and set network user 1 or 2 user name and password
  • For Audio I left both as default, both work well
    edit To get audio from the Chrombook might you need to enable mic access to Linux in the ChromeOS settings.
  • Save settings and then exit program.
  • Relaunch wfview and you should connect automatically and if there is audio coming from the radio then you should be able to hear it.
1 Like

Very cool! We’ll keep this in mind if anyone asks about it. I’m really surprised it worked that well.

–E
de W6EL

I’m looking for a compact client laptop to install Wfview. Maybe a chromebook but I have no experience with Linux. Is it difficult to install Wfview on a chromebook?

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 3 Chromebook 82BB002KMB

or

ASUS Chromebook C223NA-GJ0044-BE - Chromebook

Christophe

Christophe,

As they are both Intel based then it should work as Josh described above?

Phil

Kinda frustrated. wfview talks fine to my IC-705 running on my ASUS Chromebook 302C. But the Chromebook “Penguin” Linux won’t let me install the snd-aloop kernel module.

And I’d like to run the Hamlib rigctld emulation.

Hi K3XS,

What happens when you try to install the snd-aloop kernel module? Can you elaborate?

You can run the hamlib rigctld emulation simply by turning it on in wfview. Look under Settings, on the External Control page.

–E
de W6EL

Yes, I get the how to run emulation thing, and I do have wfview working on a RasPi. I’m following the Loopback Audio Devices in Linux page, but Chromebook is not terribly friendly to custom kernel mods. I used apt to kinstall kmod to get modeprobe, but

Ahh ok. You may want to use apt-cache to search for that specific kernel module (snd-aloop). The error is indicating that the module isn’t even available.

An apt-cache search implies it’s part of alsa-utils but the module is still missing after install.
There isn’t even a modules directory in /lib

Is there a procedure on the chrome system to install a custom or alternate kernel? That procedure may also include how to enable various kernel modules.

You could also try re-installing the alsa-utils package, in the off-chance that the file got deleted somehow.

Sorry this is so frustrating. I don’t know any other ways to get loopback going though as it’s handled really low-level.

–E
de W6EL

Chromebook Linux is a weird animal; no apologies necessary :slight_smile: I am told that it has namespacing up the wazoo to try to maintain security; ChromeOS itself is hypervigilant about security.

I also have an antique Acer CB3-111 Chromebook that I loaded with GalliumOS a while ago to have an extra Linux box on the home network. This morning before coffee I remoted into it and modprobed snd-aloop without a whimper, so I guess the next step is compiling wfview on it. It’s not exactly a performance superstar but it has the virtue of being smaller (11 ") and lighter (and cheaper if I lose it) than the ASUS Flip I’ve been running. Since my desire is to run digital modes portably, wfview’s very nice IC-705 WiFI support makes that easier; no fussing with USB serial ports and cables, just charge everybody up and hit the road.

There may be an alternate way to achieve a loopback on Chromebook Penguin through ALSA without using snd-aloop, so if I have any success down that path I’ll note it here.

edit: I see I’m not the first to want to run wfview on GalliumOS. Gallium is near-abandonware, so I may see if there’s any alternatives around first.

Got it running on my GalliumOS box. Next up: fldigi and friends.

Awesome. Nice job hanging in there with all this. wfview should play fine with humble hardware.

Couldn’t get the loopback working on fldigi, decided GalliumOS was an abandonware liability. Reflashed the Acer CB3-111 firmware with Mr. Chomebox’s UEFI solution. Debian iso would boot, but couldn’t read the install files for some reason. Got Ubuntu installed with a MATE desktop. wfview compile working fine, struggling with the fldigi audio loopback again. It’s barfing up a bunch of ALSA messages when I launch fldigi, so time to research them.

Linux audio support is a dumpster fire.

Had to weed out some unused devices from ‘/usr/share/alsa/asound.conf’

2 Likes

Very nice! Good to see all those different pieces working together. Yes, linux audio is… special. When it’s all configured properly it does work quite well, but even figuring out “what to google” is difficult. And there’s plenty of outdated information out there as well. I just went through installing jack, for example, and I feel extremely lucky to have gotten it working in only three days…

–E
de W6EL

1 Like