Port Forwarding basic help IC-7610

IC-7610 connected to LAN port.
My Wfview works fine within my LAN (so does RS-BA1) BUT…
No joy trying from outside my LAN. The answer, yes…I understand I have to set up port forwarding. The port forwarding selection in my router asks me what device, I select IC-7610. It shows the correct fixed IP I gave it in the rig’s setup (192.168.4.48) Then it asks for internal port, and external port. I selected 50001 for both, and I selected UDP. Saved that, and created another port forward with the same IP address for 50002 for internal and external port, and then a third for 50003. I changed nothing in the setup within WFview, or on the rig’s settings from what I have for successfully connecting from within my LAN.
So, I’m sure I’ve got something cattywampus, because I don’t quite understand the details of what I did with my router. Somewhere else I saw I had to acquire the external IP on my laptop when connected elsewhere by typing in google “What is my IP address?” If that is correct, I have no idea where I’m supposed to enter that IP address.
Can someone guide me a bit? I feel I’m close!!
…Dave

Hi Dave,

You do sound very close!

You need to know your home’s external IP address. You can get that while you’re at home on the same network as your radio. Join the same network as the radio, and then yes, google “what is my ip address”. The result shown should be your external ip address. This external address is the one you need to use when you are not at home, and you want to connect in to your home network.

Let us know if you are able to connect using that ip address when you’re outside of your home network.

–Elliott
de W6EL

I got that IP. it starts with 73.160…Where do I enter this ip ?

Hi Dave,

When you leave your house with, say, a laptop, then you get online with the laptop at a second location.

From this laptop, you run wfview, and enter this public IP address in under “Settings” for the “Radio IP Address”. Also enter in the port, username, and password. Then press “Save Settings” and then press “Connect”.

–E
de W6EL

Thanks so much Elliott~~ THAT WORKED!! Hooked up to my little Verizon MiFi unit, and with the port forwarding, and entering my home public IP in the radio field, I’m now listening to my rig on the laptop. One question. You had me change the rig ip address in the settings to my public ip address…which worked, but without the rig ip address now entered, how does it find it? Also, is the problem that I’ve been reading about that my public ip address that I found by typing "What is my ip? in google…could at some point change? And that is why I’ve read about grabbing a domain name from a free or otherwise service? Does this public ip address really change often?
…Dave

Hi Dave,

You’re connecting to your public ip address, from your ISP, to your router. The router connects from there to your radio. It’s almost like a cross-band repeater, going from one place to another.

Your public IP address will change now and then, perhaps every week or every month, or whenever you power cycle your internet equipment. If you sign up for a free Dynamic DNS account, then you can use a name to reference your public ip address (like maybe wb2tbb.no-ip.org or something). You’ll have to run special software at home to keep that DNS record updated. Some routers can do it for you.

Probably time to do some googling and see what people say about self-hosted services on home internet access lines. Lots of good info out there.

Also, glad it is working!

–E
de W6EL

Yes…been researching what you just said. Sadly, I found out that my router does not support dyndns. I don’t know anything about it, but it seems there is something??? I can run on my PC that stays on, which will accomplish the same thing. Or…pay Comcast more money for a fixed IP address.

Or get a redirect from noip.com…free…but if you have to renew every 30 days