Pre-processor for all WF-View audio input

Anyone try it yet? Easy Effects is for PipeWire systems ( like my POP-OS 22.04 )

and the older “PulseEffects” (which you can still get) is for any PulseAudio systems ( U 22 etc )

• Bass Effects

• Compressor

• Equalizer

• Multi-band compressor

Got it installed . flatpak version on Pop-OS 22.04 - (this distro runs PipeWire audio system)

seems to work well

using the “Compressor”, “Bass Enhancer” and “Equalizer” for the MIC input to WF client

Input Audio chain:

[headset]---->[ear/mic jack]----->[easyeffects]----->[wf-client] ====net=== [wf-server]----usb------>[icom 7300]

People say i sound better. Fuller sound, beefier

Heres my wfview Setting under “network connected radios”
RX Codec: Opus 1ch , TX codec: LPCM 16
Audio System: PortAudio
Input: Pulse , Output Pulse

1 Like

final thoughts:

Does WF itself do any filtering of audio that might be clipping the high tones (>3600Hz) or the clippling low tones (<100Hz) before passing it to the Audio interface in iCOM 7300?

Something like EasyEffects would be great to include in version 2.x of WF. Maybe not so elaborate. But things like Thetis* exist and there are a bunch of audio filters that come with Thetis

*SDR software for ANAN and Hermes Lite radios.

No wfview doesn’t do any filtering, although it is quite likely that the radio itself will impose a bandpass filter on the audio to ensure that it stays within the TX passband.

We will generally only add a feature to wfview that will work on all platforms (Linux, Windows and MacOS). As EasyEffects relies on PulseAudio, this is unlikely to be possible.

We have investigated adding a plugin architecture in the past, LADSPA is something that we did some work on (although it is designed for Linux, it is possible to use LADSPA plugins on other platforms)

Phil

1 Like

Thanks Phil,

Well, just my thoughts: EasyEffects is beautiful bit of kit to add alongside WF-Client for any user that wants to enhance their ‘presence’ on the air or get a ‘fuller’ sound

I just found that there is a GNOME Extension for it too. This allows you to go to ‘Panel’ at top of the gnome desktop and pull down a “Mix” profile that you may have saved using EE and it instantly gets applied to the audio chain.

BTW, I picked LPCM for ‘Tx Codec’ due to the fact its an uncompressed PCM format and network bandwidth for me isn’t an issue. The return channel (the receive) can be Opus because im not looking for high-fidelity coming out of my icom 7300.

Just a thought, dont we have enough loud and proud stations on the bands already? I have nothing against ppl wanting good audio and I too use audio processing, as long as we dont have to reach for the volume / rf control when they open their mouths, but listening around the band reveals the true decline into a cb type scenario.

Right!
I totally agree. This is not at all about being ‘louder’ per se. This is about:

1. Getting just good audio for local QSOs
  2. Maybe dropping the bass and increasing the mids for a more intelligible DX signal.
  3. Tailoring ( or correcting) for a not so good microphone. (maybe it sounds tinny or has more high end then you like. EE can fix that.

Yeah, I’m not encouraging loud stations, just better sounding ones.

I think or would like to think that most ppl would like to learn how to control their stations, but sadly this is not the case. I am waiting for the RSGB to publish my letter in radcom magazine to the editor regarding this matter with audio recordings and snapshot on my flex 5000 and confirmed on my TS-590S. 40m in the evenings is becoming a no go band with 5KHz wide stations splattering upper and lower sidebands upto 10KHz wide all over each other. One well know dx’er who had an Anan 7000 with adpative predistortion et al, was one of the worst I have seen, but after 7 months of twiddling his signal was clean when last heard.

Perhaps the software boys can include a button labelled press this if your audio reports are bad hi hi

Well, you just never know what people will do with their radios.

I like to shoot for clarity, and I find that most computer microphones really aren’t ideal for that crisp and clear sound that I like on the radio.

We worked pretty hard on audio plugins a few years ago but ultimately had to stop that work in order to focus on the program’s overall architecture and stability. But it is something we will come back to. I have an idea for a “radio channel strip” of basic audio plugins. We already demonstrated compression and EQ, so it is an idea that I think we can reach once we settle down on the rest of wfview’s development

Believe me, I want it. I just want to make sure we do it right.

For now though, yes, let’s use these kinds of external applications to tailor the audio. Sounds fun to me! Thanks for providing the links too.

–E
de W6EL

Cool
I think once you, Phil and Roeland play with “EasyEffects”, youre gonna love it.

1 Like

EasyEffects on the left showing the audio spectrum, and the effects stack (left side panel in EE)

Well, that looks awesome.

How’s the compressor look?

—E
de W6EL

here is compressor effect. i changed the spectrum color to green :slight_smile:

1 Like

Elliott,
Just curious if you gave this a shot.

Dan
W6DKW

Hi Dan,

I haven’t yet, but I will!

Right now we are focused on the last few glaring bugs with wfview for version 2.

After that, then I’ll get to enjoy being on the air again :slight_smile:

–E
de W6EL

1 Like