Problem Installing wfview source and building

I have followed, to the best of my ability, the instructions in the INSTALL.md file

Cloned the source repository

Run: sudo apt-get install libqcustomplot2.0 libqcustomplot-doc libqcustomplot-dev

I used the Qt Creator function to add existing files:
qcustomplot.h
qcustomplot.cpp

Using Qt Creator to open the wfview.pro file and build, I have this one error message:

:-1: error: cannot find -lqcustomplotd

System:

Qt 5: Qt 5.12.5

Output from:

grh@laptop-001:~$ sudo apt-get install libqcustomplot2.0 libqcustomplot-doc libqcustomplot-dev
[sudo] password for grh: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libqcustomplot-dev is already the newest version (2.0.1+dfsg1-1build1).
libqcustomplot-doc is already the newest version (2.0.1+dfsg1-1build1).
libqcustomplot2.0 is already the newest version (2.0.1+dfsg1-1build1).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
grh@laptop-001:~$

I would appreciate any help in moving forward.

73s

Graham, ZL1GH

1 Like

Hi Graham,

You shouldn’t need to add qcustomplot to Qt Creator, it is best to link against the one installed. My guess is that somehow this got messed up when you added the files in.

All that said, you might want to try the automated build script, which usually works well for debian-based systems like ubuntu.

Here is a video showing the process:

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Elliott,

(BTW - The first computer I programmed was an Elliott 903 in 1969.)

Will this download/build script leave the source and the wfview.pro file in the correct place so that I can open the wfview.pro with the Qt 5 Creator and work on the source code?

What version of Qt 5 for the Linux Desktop should I use to build the wfview against?

I have 5.12.5 GCC 64-bit set up at the moment. Do I need to use the Qt Maintenance tool to change to a different release version of the libraries?

Thanks for producing what looks like a very clean and interesting project. I particularly liked the statement on the deep dive podcast about the similarity between the Linux experience and having schematics for our radios.

Graham, ZL1GH

Hi Graham,

I enjoyed reading about that Elliott 903! What a machine! I don’t suppose it will run wfview very well…

What I would recommend, is installing wfview using the script first. If that works, then you can be sure your machine has all the dependencies installed, and then you can proceed to using qt creator – which is a great IDE. Most of the dialog boxes can be edited from qt creator and of course the code highlighting is great. FYI you may need to turn off “clang” plugins to get the syntax highlighting to work correctly.

When you get the script working and it compiles and runs, you will notice a folder in the directory of the script, which contains the source code. Within that folder is the “wfview.pro” file that can be opened in qt creator. When you open it, configure the “desktop” build (just hit “configure” in the screen that comes up). Once you do that, it should build just fine. Sometimes you may hit a glitch where Release builds, but Debug will not – or vice-versa. Let me know if that happens.

Keep us posted,

–E
de W6EL

Elliott,

The Release build works.
The Debug build does not and still faults with “error: cannot find -lqcustomplotd”

Any thoughts?

What version of the Qt 5 framework for Linux Destop 64-bit do you build against?

73s

Graham, ZL1GH

Hi Graham,

Mine is built against QT 5.9.5 on Linux Mint 19.2.

The bug you’re seeing is known, the qcustomplot library for debug probably isn’t on your system. It isn’t on mine either, and I have simply copied the regular qcustomplot to qcustomplotd (the ‘d’ means debug symbols).

You could download the qcustomplot source and build a debug version if you were so inclined, but I have not needed it thus far – it’s very good code.

Here is how the symlinks are set up in my system. Every libqcustomplot shared object points back to the one, single actual compiled file. You can use the sudo ln -s command to make new symlinks to get yours like mine. Once it is done, you’ll be able to easily run wfview in full debug mode.

eliggett@thinker:/usr/lib$ cd ./x86_64-linux-gnu/
eliggett@thinker:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ ls -l *libqcust*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     23 Jan 13  2016 libqcustomplot.so.1.3 -> libqcustomplot.so.1.3.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 Jan 13  2016 libqcustomplot.so -> libqcustomplot.so.1.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 852688 Jan 13  2016 libqcustomplot.so.1.3.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     17 Apr  2 23:27 libqcustomplotd.so -> libqcustomplot.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Apr  2 23:28 libqcustomplotd.so.1.3 -> libqcustomplotd.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Apr  2 23:28 libqcustomplotd.so.1.3.2 -> libqcustomplotd.so
eliggett@thinker:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ 

Enjoy exploring and let me know how it goes,

–E
de W6EL