Progress or Lack of It?

The current version 1.64 is over a year old. Is there any progress on a new version?

Check the git commit log on the active branches if you are curious.

Also look for the teaser

let me repeat the image then @wreeve as it seems that we didn’t get feedback like “geez I missed that one” from you.

Yes, I missed that one. I guess I don’t really know how to get to the latest versions.

I think the issue is that we have not posted any installers for windows and macOS for these recent builds.

The source code is there, and of course the linux build script will happily build it for any linux users in about 3 minutes at the press of a button. Honestly it’s a great time to try a linux desktop on a spare computer.

For windows and macOS, the process is far more complicated and we simply don’t have to resources to develop the program and simultaneously package up installers each time we make a stride.

That said we are testing our automated windows build system, which is working, and once we get an installer together, these automated builds should be a snap to try out.

The installer has to prep the host system by installing the new plaintext rig descriptor files, as well as audio libraries and Qt 6. It’s not the kind of thing to try and do in your spare time, it needs to be done correctly and carefully.

If you traveled or watched the news recently, I think you can appreciate how important it is to test system-level installer programs. We don’t want to distribute anything that causes a problem!

Loads of development taking place, and yes, we are slow about getting a windows and macOS installer together.

We do appreciate that the community is excited about this release and we understand how difficult it is to wait!

–E
de W6EL

Thank you for the explanation. My limitation is, and I know I share this with many other Icom and Windows users, I don’t know how to build a Windows executable from the source files. I even have difficulty navigating github.

This means that I and a lot of others aren’t able to use the latest builds and provide feedback, report bugs, etc.

Whit