QSYs Improperly

Brief summary of problem (put in title as well): Does not respond to frequency entries properly. Listening to a CW station on 40m. Use the Frequency tab to QSY to 7060. VFO shows 7060 but graphic displays still show original frequency.and display stations on and around that freq.

Radio Model: IC-7300
Connectivity (USB/Ethernet/Wifi/Other): USB
Operating System: Windows 11
wfview version (press “About”): 1.64
Checked the wfview manual (Y/N): Y
Checked the wfview FAQ (Y/N): Y
Tried to google it (Y/N/NA): NA

What I did: Changing the Spectrum Mode from Fixed to Center fixes it - displays proper frequency and radio is tuned to the proper freq.

Expected behavior: I don’t want to have to change Spectrum Mode. I prefer to stay in Fixed mode… Though, maybe it’s behaving this way because I’m QSYing too far from the original Edge frequency?

Observed behavior: Described above

This is a ‘feature’ of the Icom fixed mode. If you try to QSY outside the current fixed frequency range, the frequency indicator will move to the ‘new’ frequency, but if this is outside of the currently displayed fixed frequency range, then the frequency indicator will be off-screen.

Not much we can do about this as it is pretty fundamental to how Fixed mode works.

That’s what I had in the back of my mind as I wrote it.

What about: before it QSYs it measures the freq difference (dF) between the displayed freq and the “anchor” freq. Then it applies the same dF to the newly entered freq so there is a new “anchor” freq. That would allow it to remain in Fixed mode.

Just thinking out loud here.

Ken

What you are describing is the mode ‘Scroll-F’ this will do exactly as you describe, and has been available in all Icom radios with a scope for about 2 years.

Phil

1 Like

Cool! Maybe I can get a job at Icom? :rofl::rofl:

Hi Phil,

Is scroll-F accessible from within wfview?

Yes - click on the Spectrum Mode drop-down. It defaults to Fixed, but you can select Scroll-F. Then save Settings.

Definitely check out our manual, all these controls are covered extensively. It gives us more time to develop cool features when you take a gander at it.

Don’t forget the “Custom Edge” button that shows up in fixed mode, you can use that button to just type in your own spectrum edge (span).

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

I do refer to the manuals, but I miss as much as I absorb. I’m afraid that’s only going to get worse from here on out…:cry:

Ken Alexander VE3HLS