Raspberry Pi operations

Currently i have complied wfview for a RaspPi 3b+, courious to find out who else is playing with a raspberry pi and there experiences.

Hi Peter,

I ran it on a Pi 3b+ too early on. I was thinking of the Pi as a sort of “display adapter” for the 7300 – USB in, HDMI out. But then it became a lot more! I have a friend that was able to do it and operate my IC-9700 remotely from the east coast.

I’d like to eventually make a stand-alone Pi “server” version of wfview that is just wfview as a system service daemon. Try and make it a plug and play solution to put any CI-V rig with USB audio and USB control on to the internet. It could probably be a pretty small sd card image.

But then I got to thinking, why stop there, how about embedding a Pi-Zero inside an older Icom rig that lacks USB audio and PTT control. Add a CM118 USB sound card and you’re good!

Lots of possibilities here!

–Elliott
de W6EL

Elliot

I forgot to mention that I using wfview with my IC-705. I do have a 7300 but not touch since last year.
The Pi is on ethernet, 705 of course wireless.
Main issue i noticed was while the rtt: is consistently in single figure with the occasionally two digits, I’m getting high loss in packets.
Still trying to get head around what I’m seeing before forwarding any results.

I now been testing the setup of a window wfview client to the raspberry pi wfview server.
This was after playing with laptop windows client to a windows desktop server.

More to come.

Also can you update the wfview.desktop to not install icon in the internet menu please.

Peter

For Windows you need the Silicon Lab usb driver, how is that when using a Raspberry Pi?
Can you run WSJTx and WF on a Pi and operatie the 7300 with FT4/8 remotely?
Power consumption is than relative Low when running 24/7.

73, pa3bzt

Hi Fred.

No driver is required on Linux (including Raspberry PI) or MacOS. Yes that should be possible although we have a number of fixes for the server mode coming up.

73 Phil M0VSE

~WRD0001.jpg

I have set up and RaspberryPi 4B to full control with wfview. Added a mini usb mic and now have audio out.
Tried setting up a OrangePi, wfview runs fine on there but there is no audio output
unless you add a small add on that gives you Mic , Headphone and 2 extra USB ports
since the main board only has one USB port. It doesnt like WSJT-X for some reason.
Every install I tried has failed. The software I loaded was Ubuntu 2.01.04.

Allen

Hi, just downloaded and compiled fine on my Pi3… Attempting to use with my IC7300 over USB port which I tested & worked fine with FLRIG… struggling to get connectivity with wfview… the only settings I have changed/used are for the connect over serial… USB(Serial)… auto failed, I have ttyAMA0 and ttyUSB1 but neither worked… baud rate set to 15200… any help appreciated…

Clive

1 Like

Hi Clive,

Checkout Elliot guide to ic7300 rig setup. 7300 setup - Google Slides

As a test, I just done a clean raspberry pi install and then a fresh wfview compile.

Plug in IC-7300 into the Pi and bring a terminal window and type lsusb

you see in the list these entries,
ID 08bb:2901 Texas Instruments PCM2901 Audio Codec
ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP2102/CP2109 UART Bridge Controller [CP210x family]
ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub
ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub

if not then Pi has not recognised the radio for some reason.

if those so, start wfview and go to settings and in the sound device find these two names work for the server audio on the IC-7300:

Audio Input: alsa_input.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo
Audio Output: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo

My connect over serial was Auto, Baud 115200 and no manual ci-v.
Changing them to ttyusb1 and ci-v to 94 also worked establishing a connect to the rig.

Sorry for going over possible methods you may have already tried, maybe it may spark an idea to check a setting. I always only change one setting at a time, then save & restart wfview.

de PK

additionally found at Settings Tab | wfview

Serial Connections:

If an Icom is connected with a USB cable, wfview will generally find and use this connection automatically, without any intervention from the user. If you are having difficulty getting a USB connection to work, you may need to change port permissions. We have a section of the users guide for this, but to temporary try changing permissions, use the following command:

sudo chown $USER /dev/ttyUSB*

Running fine on a Pi4 in the form of a Raspad3 and a 705, but too wide for the 1280 x 800 screen. TX aidio with WSJT-X is suspect however. More work to be done.

Hi. If you set wfview to run in full screen mode it should display correctly. If you are using the latest master branch, this has lots of fixes for TX audio, what exactly didn’t work?

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Clive,

Make sure that no other programs are open that might be using the port. Unplug the 7300 USB port, and then plug it back in, and then issue the dmesg command in the terminal to see what the name of the port is. Make sure you have permission to use the port: sudo chown /dev/ttyUSB*. You should also check the wfview logfile, which is a text file: xdg-open /tmp/wfview.log. The log file will contain any issues with opening the serial port.

Please let us know how it goes. We are eager to support that particular rig on the Pi.

–E
de W6EL

It’s a wifi issue with the 705. If everything isn’t perfect, as with a direct hotspot connection, then there’s digital artifacts and momentary drop outs. This might be tolerable on SSB, but not on digital modes.

There’s also a brief burst of RX audio inserted at the beginning of each TX. It’s the same with the RS-BA1. Perhaps that’s why the Icom software doesn’t allow SSB-D modes as the nature of it might be against bandwidth limitations for that band region.

Re 7300. It would seem that Wfview should be able to connect to an attached PC running the RS-BA1 seever.

Yes in theory it could but there are currently issues as the RS-BA1 server works slightly differently to the rig based server.

73 Phil

Regarding the wifi issue, this isn’t limited to the IC705. Streaming uncompressed live audio is a very stressful operation for most WiFi. I also have a Flexradio 6000 + Maestro and there are numerous reports of WiFi issues. As you say, the WiFi needs to be perfect with minimal contention as each collision/retransmit will potentially cause audio dropouts.

I use Cambium WiFi at home and have zero issues with my IC705, and as you can probably imagine, I have tested it pretty extensively.

I also haven’t seen the brief burst of RX audio that you mention on TX so I would be interested in hearing more about this.

73 Phil M0VSE

Run FT8 over wifi and listen on another RX. Right at the beginning of each TX.

It’s best if the local RX isn’t on an antenna so it isn’t hearing band noise because that’s essentially what is being transmitted. Otherwise it just blends into the noise.

Regarding the noise burst at the beginning of TX over a WiFi connection - Listen to 20 or 40 FT8 for a while. You’ll hear it. I was listening this morning and it is a bery distinct noise burst at the beginning of each TX cycle. Probably cumulative from multiple stations. If you watch the waterfall you’ll see the whole noise floor go up for a brief instant.