Recommended Logging Software

I’ve been trying to get a complete setup on Linux. Wfview is handling the rig like a champ. Next, I’ve been trying to find some good logging software, but none of them see to acknowledge Wfview as being connected to the radio. Any logging software you recommend that works?

Hi,

If the logging software supports hamlib, which many do, then they can connect to wfview using our rigctld-compatible built-in server. This is a method of TCP/IP connectivity that will provide the logging software with the radio frequency and mode (and so on).

If a logging software doesn’t support hamlib (kind of rare in linux to not support this but anyway), then you can use the pseudo-terminal device that wfview makes, which emulates a genuine serial port. The program connects to the serial port and thinks it’s talking directly to the radio.

You can read about both of these options in our user manual. Rigctld is the preferred option and jr supports multiple connections, unlike the pseudo terminal, which only supports one at a time.

Alright, but you asked what logging software? Unfortunately my log is paper! But I too am open to suggestions.

Can anyone here recommend something?

—E
de W6EL

For Linux check out CQRLog. I use it with wfview via Hamlib no issues. Also works with flrig on Linux if that’s your thing too.

I use CQRLog, tied into JTDX - FLrig (and optionally FLdigi) and Gridtracker are normally all running / interacting… zero issues (like all software, there is a learning curve).

73’s - Glenn

Thank you both! I will have to try CQRLog out!

Is it difficult to manage logs from two locations? Is there a merge or sync option between two computers?

—E
de W6EL

Elliott…

You can export your adif from one / import to another - and then CQRlog will remove dupes (I have done this a few times).

I normally have a backup (as well as LOTW / CloudLog).

Super easy - 73’s - Glenn

Hi Grant,

I recently found qlog, which is a logging program for linux. I was able to connect it to wfview and it seems to work pretty well. The program will take some getting used to but it has many good features.

I got the source code from here:

To compile it, I had to make two changes.

1. Remove the line in QLog.pro that contains “flags.qrc”
  2. in the file ui/MainWindow.cpp, line 632, I had to change HAMLIBVERSION_MINOR to “x” (with the quotes). I guess hamlib changed how they indicate version numbers, so I just put an x in there, in quotes.

Once I got that done, I made a build directory, ran qmake, and then make, and it is working! For rig control, you need to define a rig using the Rig Model “Hamlib NET rigctl” and then near the bottom you’ll see a spot for Hostname and Port. Port is grayed out, so make a note of it and put that port number into wfview under our own rigctld in Settings. For hostname, put “localhost”.

Once wfview is started and the port number has been changed (and I clicked off rigctld and then back on just to make sure), go to qlog and under the “Equipment” menu, turn on “Connect to rig”.

That did it for me. But I can’t say I know how to use everything this program has to offer. The default layout does not fit on a 1080x1920 screen, but it is easy to close widgets you’re not using.

–E
de W6EL

Actually, if you follow the README.md directions carefully, you will not need the first change. The git clone command must contain --recurse-submodules. Then it will grab the flag resources just fine.

The second change is because I have a version of hamlib from their source repository, where, instead of using a number for their minor revision, they use “5~git”, which of course fails to cast into a number… They should not do this! The hamlib source should put that into quotes if it has the posibility of containing anything other than a number. Or, just use a number, you know? And maybe a second variable can track a full version string, with quotes.

I do have to specify a -style unknown option to get QLog to use my default style. That may just be my system though.

Overall, QLog is working with wfview quite well.

–E
de W6EL

Here’s a screenshot.