Release 1.2c (was 1.2b) for testing need volunteers ;-)

Hi Fred.

It’s also worth checking the wfview log file Log file | wfview as any exceptions occurring in rigctld should be logged there.

73 Phil M0VSE

Guys, I managed to get WSJT-x to “see” my 7300 and can display the frequency, change band and control the PTT. Made my first FT8 contact in this configuration.
In WSJT-x Tab Radio I selected as Rig Hamlib NET rigctl and as Network Server 127.0.0.1:4533 (as suggested by Roeland). I hope this is the intended radio setup.

So far Omnirig set the 7300 in USB D(ata) and Filter 1. This must be done manually now.
I wonder in future release when you enable Data in wfview, the Filter setting can be set to 1 at the same time too? Or have a digital mode pulldown menu that sets the radio to the proper settings?

Next step will be to setup LOG4OM. This program automatically starts Omnirig, will this be a showstopper for wfview? Better to change com port in Omnirig to a not existing port?

73, Fred
PA3BZT

Hi Fred.

Great that you got it working, Log4OM only starts OmniRig because it is told to. If you follow the instructions at https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/hamlib-rigctld-emulation/ it will use Hamlib/rigctld for the CAT connection instead.

73 Phil

~WRD0001.jpg

Hi Phil, Roeland!

Looks like everything works fine! Great job guys!
Have wsjt-x, Log4OM, JTalert running and all is synced via rigctld :slight_smile:
One thing I encounter is, when I for example load a homepage in the browser and in this moment wsjtx sends the ptt command key up tx or switch back to rx the command doesn’t reach the TRX. I am connected via wireguard tunnel both sides are on windows. But thats only happening if in this moment a heavy network load occurs in the same moment.
Are you reasking the state of the TRX between client/server/TRX? Would be great.

thx a lot
Rainer

Hi all

Have tested with log4om. Works very good. Also PTT works smooth.

Tried Virtual com ports to LogHx3 and could not get that to work at all neither with com0com nor with Vspe. Tried all settings I could think of. More tests tonight.

Br
George

Installed 1.2c last night on Windows10. Great program! Working FB with Icom7300 and LOG40OM.
I have a small Node-Red test app that I use to send hamlib commands to rigctld to set frequencies but more importantly to easily switch the IC-7300 keyer mode from paddles to straight key. App works fine with hamlib-w64-4.3 but not with wfview. rigctld. How can I enable logging on wfview to troubleshoot?
Thanks,
Sperry N4SD

Hi Sperry,

I suspect you may be using a command that we haven’t implemented yet!

https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/log-file/

This will tell you if there are any errors.

Phil

I did some more testing with WSJT-x tonight and noticed that the control to my 7300 is not working consistent. During the FT4/8 session the rig frequently does not return back to receive mode and have to stop the TX manually on the 7300. Also the frequency does not always return back to the RX frequency after a TX cyclus.
For example, the RX is 14.074.00, the TX cycle switches to 14.073.00 but does return back to RX 14.074.00 at the end of the TX cycle, so in the next TX cycle the frquency is set to 14.072.00 and so on.
This happens at the server side with no communication to the client (client PC switched off).
Any suggestion what to do?

73, Fred

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem here.
Switching to TX or switching to RX or changing frequencies does sometimes not work.
I have this problem wich IC-7300 and IC-9700 connected via USB.
When the IC-9700 is connected via LAN, then I had no problem.
The communication between WSJT-X and wfview rigctld looks good in wireshark. All commands from WSJT-X
are acknowledged by wfview rigctld (RPRT 0), regardless of whether they are executed by wfview or not.
There are no error messages in the log file.

73 Uli DF7SC

Hi all.

Regarding USB data loss, can you try increasing the polling interval within the wfview Settings tab (Polling button on the bottom left). I suspect that the USB serial port is being ‘swamped’?

One way to mitigate this issue would possibly be for wfview to send the command multiple times but I would rather find the cause of the problem!

Interestingly, I have never experienced this issue while testing with an IC705 connected over USB on my Windows 10 laptop (i7 with 16GB RAM). Are you all using the latest USB driver from Icom?

Long term, we are working on a more complete method of synchronising the current state of the rig with wfview which would also fix this. Certain rigs, like the IC7100 only support 1/2 duplex serial comms so are more prone to commands being missed.

73 Phil M0VSE

be sure to have the CI-V USB Baud rate set to 115k2 too for the rigs that are controlled over USB.

The CI-V USB Baud rate is on 115200.
I have changed the polling time from 25 → 10 ms, no improvement. Changed Poll 10 → 5 ms, no improvement.
Regarly misses the TX command or the frequency switching.
Noticed twice the frequency went up while doing nothing. Have not seen this with Rigctld disabled.
Can’t reproduce it, so not sure when this happens.

73, Fred

Hi Fred,

I said to try to ‘increase’ the polling interval, not decrease it!

73 Phil

Hi Phil,
oeps, you are right, increase, hi.
Tried different settings but no improvement.
BTW, I am using Windows 10 Pro, 8Gb RAM.i5 7th generation 2.4Ghz

73, Fred

It was just a thought :slight_smile:

The fact that my IC705 doesn’t exhibit the same problem over USB does indicate that it may be an issue with USB comms on certain rigs. I will do some more testing and try some other rigs, as I often say with these sort of issues, I have to experience the problem to be able to fix it!

73 Phil

The only other thing that has occurred to me, I am using a good quality Anker USB cable wrapped round a couple of ferrites. As it is TX/frequency change that is getting corrupted, I wonder if cable quality or RF might be a cause?

73 Phil

Hi Phil,
I am using a USB cable with ferrite on both ends too.
I do not experience any problems when using WSJT-x and Log4OM with OmniRig.
In the Log4OM forum I regarly read people are having problems with Hamlib and in that case the standaard answer from G4POP is to use OmniRig instead of Hamlib.

73, Fred

Hi Fred.

We are only using a very small part of Hamlib (the rigctld interface) where many people have issues with Hamlib is with the actual rig interface and we aren’t using that at all.

The issue is that OmniRig has a mechanism to retry a command if no response is received. With the architecture of wfview, there is (currently) no way of knowing if a command has been received by the rig or not. This allows for a much more responsive interface (as it doesn’t have to wait for a reply to every command) but makes it very difficult to incorporate some sort of retry mechanism.

It is possible that OmniRig is silently retrying when it experiences corrupt data. I have just spent the last hour on 40m FT8 with WSJT-X and Log4OM connected to wfview 1.2c (IC705 over USB) and didn’t have one missed TX/RX or frequency change.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi
I had the same problem. I changed the polling no to 35 and it works fine. I have an issue that when i am trying to save, exit and restart the program it does’nt save the change that i have made and i have to change it again manually every time.
73 Eli

Eli,

we will add the saving of that value.