Remote operation of a portable station

Further update: Replacing both wifi connections with powerline adaptor has cured the problem :grinning:

If I revert to Wifi on either the client side or the server side, then I get drop-outs. Both have to be wired connections.

I’m delighted to have found a solution, of course, so now I can go to the next stage of testing with a real external user.

It seems to me that there still might be something underlying with wfview that is exacerbating the problem - since the log files seem to show that it doesn’t recover cleanly from an occasional delayed UDP packet. Perhaps this is related to the mesh network issues that others are reporting.

Incidentally my wifi network – which isn’t a mesh – seems fine for all other purposes, and I haven’t noticed any other applications struggling (even quite demanding gaming with simultaneous video-streaming).

Hi Russell,

I too had to change my radio end (IC-7610) from wireless to powerline ethernet (just moved a few months back, and plan to get it wired after Christmas) to get reliable operations.

I am running my computer on wireless though, and found that if I drop the encoding to anything lower than 16bit, the lost packet counter will slow down significantly.
Your mileage may vary, of course :wink:

I successfully operated the entire Candian RAC contest this past weekend like this.
I had no complaints of poor audio since I made this change. Previously I had many net controllers tell me my audio was not good.

73 and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays
Gordon
VE7BNR

Thanks, Gordon (and others).

Using an 8-bit codec seems to be an improvement, but I’m still having drop-out problems.

I’m going to open a new topic on this now, because the problem is not related to the VPN and IP routing solution; I get drop-outs even if I am not running via VPN.