Remote operation on wfview 1.42

Hi there,

New user here. I want to do remote operation of my IC7300 which is connected through USB to a mini PC on my LAN. I am running Ubuntu 22.04 on both the server as well as the client and used the install script to install the same fresh version on both stations.

As per the manual, I opened wfview on the server and configured it, got the IC7300 controlled. I then configured the radio server, enabled it and restarted wfview. The problem is that there is noone listening on 50001, 50002 nor 50003 (default configured server ports) and therefor the client cannot connect.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Adrian, YO6SSW

can you check on the server side if the ports are open? If on localhost they are open and not remotely then you have an issue with the firewall config.

Sorry for the vagueness of the previous message. I checked on localhost (server machine) and netstat shows no listener for the server ports. I also tried to change the ports and restart wfview without any success.

Hi Adrian,

On the server machine, can you launch wfview, verify the radio shows as “IC-7300” in the window title, check that the server is indeed enabled in Settings, and then close wfview? Next, send us the log file. You can just paste it right into the forum.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for the reply. You can find my log here: https://hq.scene.ro/wfview.log
Let me know if there’s any other information you need from me.

Thank you,
Adrian, YO6SSW

Hi Adrian,

It looks like you’re on ports 5001/5002/5003 rather than 50001 etc. Maybe this is part of the issue?

2022-08-30 17:24:28.869 INF udp.server: Server Binding Control to:  5001
2022-08-30 17:24:28.870 INF udp.server: Server Binding CIV to:  5002
2022-08-30 17:24:28.870 INF udp.server: Server Binding Audio to:  5003

Could be other things too, but let’s start there.

–E
de W6EL

Same happens for the default ports, 50001, 50002, 5003.

Hi Adrian,

I’ll be honest, I’m running wfview server and I do not see anything showing listening in netstat. Maybe for UDP there are extra tricks to show the listening ports? My netstat-fu is from BSD, I’m a bit weak on the linux one.

Regardless, can you try making a connection in and then show us the server and client logs?

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Ahh ok, RTFM, here is the netstat syntax that works for me (that’s “L” as in “Lima”):
netstat -ln
And I see it listed like this:

udp6       0      0 :::50001                :::*
udp6       0      0 :::50002                :::*
udp6       0      0 :::50003                :::*

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot,

Yeah, it was a matter of PEBCAK. I was so used to issuing netstat -atnp that I did not consider UDP being used for the three ports. I do get them listed now properly, leaving out the t. The tip with the log also helped me identify the problem with the client not connecting: incorrect credentials. It turns out that pressing enter in the server config password field is not a great idea.

In short, I can now connect to the wfview server and control works, waterfall works but audio does not work (yet). Need to figure out the proper interface.

Thank you for all the help,

Adrian, YO6SSW

Awesome! Well done on the sleuthing.

The audio seems blank in the log files I saw, so maybe just poking around in the settings there will do the trick.

FYI one subtle thing, the audio subsystem (qt, rt, and port audio) must be selected under Radio Access, even when running the server. This is a relatively new thing but selecting the best audio backend can be dramatically better. With Linux Mint (basically ubuntu), I use Port Audio.

–E
de W6EL