Remote tuning knobs

Will it do this with the wfview client/server setup running, from 13,000 km and 12 time zones away?
I’d LOVE for this to work!

Ken VE3HLS

I’ve built this “wedge” controller, it’s derived from my earlier work but now has three rotary encoders. There is a link to a brief video of testing dynamic tuning steps which is dependent on the speed of rotation of the large rotary encoder…. Very Slow = 1Hz and also lights the lower LEDs in the ring Yellow. … Slow = Tuning Step x 1 and lights Cyan LEDs… Fast = Tuning Step x 10 and Green LEDs…. Very Fast = Tuning Step x 100 and White LEDs.

The two smaller mechanical rotary encoders provide Mode Chang, Band Change , 1Hz VFO steps, and other functions.

The connection is CI-V and goes directly to an Icom radio’s Remote port. I could also connect via RS232 to a Yaesu Radio but that is awaiting further development.

Long story short something like this could perhaps be your second controller ?

2 more controller knobs that might be worth a look…

The $200 high-end one that rivals the Icom one: FlexControl USB Controlled Tuning Knob – FlexRadio

The $39 Bargain one that might become a thing if enough people bother with it: 25.94£ 36% OFF|For HamGeek HG02 External Rotary Encoder Radio Encoder for Q900 PMR 171 TBR 119 Radios SDR Transceivers| | - AliExpress

Flex control is not a HID device, it uses a proprietory protocol, so we are very unlikely to support it.

Phil

Ah, that would explain it’s relative obscurity.

OK, well, i have one here gathering dust if anyone on the team needs a bag on their head. :slight_smile:

The Chinese one is a little flimsy, and the price is all over the map, but it’s out there, and kinda cute.

Yeah that knob you linked to is neat. How’s it feel? Does it have enough momentum to spin for a moment?

—E
de W6EL

It feels like $29.99 TBH. For chinese tat, that means it’s of reasonable quality overall. The knob itself is cast alloy with some thought into it’s density, so it feels good in use, and is not feather-weight. It grips the encoder shaft with a grub/allen screw. The encoder still has the ‘pips’ in it, so you can feel it incrementing - maybe a good thing? It won’t freewheel like the Icom or Flex, but if you give it some socks, it will spin for > 360degrees. If you just flick it, it’ll do 60 degrees or so. The base is a thin alloy, and could really do with being mounted to something heavy, as the whole footprint is only 45mm x 45mm, and the base is only 18mm tall - so, it’s small. You tend to use it from above with some pressure towards the desk. The encoder is also a button with a decent clicky clunk going on. Satisfaction.

It works as a HID afaik. No drivers etc. I got it for the HS2 SDR, with which it works well.

Worth a shot?

1 Like

I have ordered one of those knobs from Aliexpress, so it will be interesting to see if it sends anything other than PGUP/PGDN keyboard commands, and whether I can make wfview take control of it.

1 Like

Hi folks, not been here for a while…. wondered how this topic has progressed ? I’m still plodding on… refining control ( via the Remote port ) of my Icom radios - and looking into CAT control of my Yaesu…

demos
7300. :

101 :

Ali delivers once again, this time with something far more complex:

This looks much closer to AV controllers that cost triple, and do less IMHO. I kinda want one purely due to it’s mech looking keys…

This is the cheaper version, only 2 knobs:

and this one in realistic wood-like finish is for those of us who refuse to do FT8, and still smoke PLAYERS: